FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
Misc small suggestions...
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions: Return to Arms General Discussion

Author Thread
Sectus

Misc small suggestions...  Reply with quote  

It's not that far away from RtA's release so suggesting really big features wouldn't do any difference, I'm going to try to make some suggestions which hopefully can be considered feasible to do before the game is released.

-Zoom-in ability in the character window. I love how all the types of armour makes my character look different, but it would be fun to look at the details even closer. So being able to zoom as well as rotate in the character screen would be great.

-Zooming for hotseat multiplayer games. I know zooming wouldn't work that great for multiplayer games where 4 players are on different parts of the screen. But I think it would be nice to at least have an option for it, right now I'm playing a 2 player game where both of our character are melee fighters, so we're basically on the same part of the screen all the time. So it would have been nice for us to see even closer on what's happening.

-Remove those bugs. Well, this is obvious and probably been suggested many times before. But I really do get the feeling CoN is a very buggy game. Fortunately, I haven't encountered any real game breaking bugs, but I've encountered lots of bugs which I felt was rather annoying and frustrating to deal with. I really hope RtA will get a very extensive beta test so there's as few bugs as possible.

-Option to center screen. This is a very nice option I wish every console game would have, I'm using a tv which for some reason shifts the view slightly to the left so I lose a small part of the game screen. And I really like the option in games to be able to re-center the screen so I can see everything. An option like this in RtA would be great.

-Framerate>eye candy. I always prefer having things go smooth instead of seeing those extra particles or polygons. If it's impossible to optimize the engine so that a 60fps will be maintained then I really wouldn't mind having some of the special effects be toned down when there's lots of action, so the fps wouldn't drop as badly. Speaking of which, a 60hz option for PAL players would be a very nice welcome. I'm not sure if it would create problems for online play, but it would at least be a nice option for those who only play offline anyway (like me).

-More varied animations. I was a bit disappointed to see that so many animations are identical for many of the classes in. And it would really help to make each class be more unique if each class had it's own animations for running, idling, fighting and etc. Well, this would also probably a lot of work to do so I doubt it'll see the light of day, but it would have been nice to see.

Anyway, those are the suggestions I could think of the moment. I just bought my first console a few months ago and CoN is definitely one of most fun games I've played so far on the PS2, and I'm really really looking forward to RtA.
Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:23 am
Sectus

For the heck of it, a few more:

-Item description text to the side. This is really minor, but when I browse a trader's goods I find the item description to be a bit obstructive. While there's half of the screen which isn't used at all (unless a second person is playing) why not move that text to the other side of the screen, so one can read the text and still be able to see the other goods without having to move the "mouse pointer".

-A character roster. This is one thing which I feel gets really annoying when having multiplayer characters in CoN, each savegame takes about 800KB (that's a lot!!) and usually has 1-2 characters in it. Now then, if I've completed the game with a character I usually want to keep that character for future use. But I don't want to waste 800kb just to save one character. It would be great to be able to save characters in some kind of roster (ala in Diablo 1/2) so you can more quickly browse the characters you have and then more easily start or import those characters into new games. And most importantly of all, those saved characters wouldn't take 800kb each on the memory card.
Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:56 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

Let me say first that your post was a good read.

First of all is there any way to fix the screen on your tv with the tv? I've never heard of this problem and i'm wondering if it's just isolated to you.

1. You can be sure the bugs will be mostly squashed. Snowblind and Sony are sending out betas for the game in October to people who subscribe to the site. http://www.station.sony.com/en/
Whether or not you get chosen is another question. I'm sure they've read through all the complaints the first time around about the bugs and glitches. I doubt they'd want to go through something similar again.

2. Your frame-rate issue seems to be taken care of. In a few interviews with the developers they have stated that they are stabalizing the game to a constant 60fps. I doubt you'll lose any of the eye candy either.

3. About the item descriptions getting in the way in the shops. Well DA1 and DA2 did it sometimes where some descriptions were on the empty side of the screen. This is great and all for the single player game but when you're playing multiplayer and the other person needs the other screen, you're screwed with having to wait for him or her to finish or making him or her wait. I know what you mean though, it does get in the way but it's not something i'm overly concerned about. I'd much rather have an inventory trading system instead of having to drop and pick up things.

4. I'd be nice to save just characters instead of actual games but i think it poses problems. One is, do you take out the game saves altogether? If you do that and just make character saves, chances are you'll be starting the game over and over and over and not exactly playing the latter parts of the game very much. However, since RtA is going to have a hub system you'll be able to go to any of the unlocked Planes in any order. I'm not really against the idea of having character saves, i just think it would be better if they just made every save smaller in general. I agree 800 kb is a lot.

5. The zoom idea you have is on the picky side as well as your zoom to look at character armor suggestion. It'd be somewhat nice for the camera to automatically zoom in when you're close together and then zoom out as you get further away but i'm concerned whether that would get annoying as it constantly happens. Maybe an option for it would be nice but i think the way it is is the way it's going to stay. Honestly it could be worse. Scrolling the screen around and around is car sick inducing enough. At least in that respect i can control it.

6. You want variety in your animations. Ok, i understand that but CoN was arguably the best game when it comes to animation out of the 3 (CoN, DA1, DA2). Remember the Shadow Knight can do a backhanded slash... and that's one of the coolest things about that class.

By the way RtA seems really far away for me cause i've been waiting for about 3 months... lol
Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:53 am
Sectus

Re: ...  Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by Mindcircus
First of all is there any way to fix the screen on your tv with the tv? I've never heard of this problem and i'm wondering if it's just isolated to you.

I've tried to mess around but I see no way to fix it. It's like this when I connect something through scart cable. I doubt it's any common problem, but I do see many games come with options to re-center the screen which is a big advantage for me.

quote:
3. About the item descriptions getting in the way in the shops. Well DA1 and DA2 did it sometimes where some descriptions were on the empty side of the screen. This is great and all for the single player game but when you're playing multiplayer and the other person needs the other screen, you're screwed with having to wait for him or her to finish or making him or her wait. I know what you mean though, it does get in the way but it's not something i'm overly concerned about. I'd much rather have an inventory trading system instead of having to drop and pick up things.

Yeah, you got a good point there. I've never really thought much about that, but being able to switch items easier would be really nice. It should be easy to make too, just make it possible to press L1 or something while hovering over an item to give it to your teammate (if both players have their character screen open that is).

quote:
4. I'd be nice to save just characters instead of actual games but i think it poses problems. One is, do you take out the game saves altogether? If you do that and just make character saves, chances are you'll be starting the game over and over and over and not exactly playing the latter parts of the game very much. However, since RtA is going to have a hub system you'll be able to go to any of the unlocked Planes in any order. I'm not really against the idea of having character saves, i just think it would be better if they just made every save smaller in general. I agree 800 kb is a lot.

Actually, I meant having a roster as an addition. So that when you've finished a game then the characters for that game would be moved to some kind of roster you could access from the main menu and import menu. I really don't like the idea of wasting 800kb by just keeping a character in a savegame when I'm not playing on that savegame. Also, Snowblind should just re-think the whole system with how characters are saved, there's simply *way* too many exploits with the current system. (duplicating items when importing character, many easy ways to gain xp quickly by exporting and importing the same character, etc)

Savegames could also become smaller in general. It might be a bit overkill to save every little corpse and item scattered around. And I hate watching the savegame size after compressing them with Maxdrive. My CoN savegame was compressed from 800kb to 100kb, why doesn't any developer compress their savegames? In theory the only disadvantage is that it'd take a little longer to load and save.

quote:
5. The zoom idea you have is on the picky side as well as your zoom to look at character armor suggestion. It'd be somewhat nice for the camera to automatically zoom in when you're close together and then zoom out as you get further away but i'm concerned whether that would get annoying as it constantly happens. Maybe an option for it would be nice but i think the way it is is the way it's going to stay. Honestly it could be worse. Scrolling the screen around and around is car sick inducing enough. At least in that respect i can control it.

Yeah, I think an automatic zoom might become a bit annoying after a short while. But I always think that the more options the merrier, so I really wouldn't mind having options to be able to zoom more. As long as it isn't forced.

quote:
6. You want variety in your animations. Ok, i understand that but CoN was arguably the best game when it comes to animation out of the 3 (CoN, DA1, DA2). Remember the Shadow Knight can do a backhanded slash... and that's one of the coolest things about that class.

I don't agree with that, I haven't played DA2 much, but I got the feeling every class had it's own set of animations in that game. Unlike CoN where every character has the same animation for hitting with every melee weapon. It's really not that big a deal, but I think it'd add just a little more personality to the classes if they had unique animations (and I dislike that female running animation anyway :p )

Also, after playing the game for about 5-6 hours straight I'm starting to believe an autofire option would be nice... my poor sore thumb ._.
Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:16 pm
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

1. How exactly are the females supposed to animate? If you look carefully you'll notice that a female ranger dual wields differently than a babarian. You also have classes that can't use certain types of weapons so there's a different animation right there. Barbs are more forcefull when swinging or slashing whereas rangers do it more with more style. Like i said the shadow knight female also has a backhanded slash. If you can, please describe to me how you want a female character to run. Do you want her to prance around like a school girl or something? Honestly i think you're nitpicking. CoN animates way better than other games of this kind.

2. I like your idea about a character saved list.

3. If you hold down X, you'll keep firing arrows...
Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:42 pm
Sectus

Re: ...  Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by Mindcircus
1. How exactly are the females supposed to animate? If you look carefully you'll notice that a female ranger dual wields differently than a babarian. You also have classes that can't use certain types of weapons so there's a different animation right there. Barbs are more forcefull when swinging or slashing whereas rangers do it more with more style. Like i said the shadow knight female also has a backhanded slash. If you can, please describe to me how you want a female character to run. Do you want her to prance around like a school girl or something? Honestly i think you're nitpicking. CoN animates way better than other games of this kind.

I wasn't aware of those unique animations you listed, it's just that those animations I've tested with different characters were the same. And it's pretty difficult for me to explain how I'd want a different female running animation to look like, definitely not anything silly like "prancing around like a school girl". I just think the current animation looks a bit weird, but that's just my opinion.
Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:56 pm
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

In any case their feature set for the game looks to be set in stone.
Post Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:36 am
Sectus

Well, there's still a few months left so hopefully they'll have time to add in a few thing or two, besides just testing and getting it ready for release. I'm wondering though how much fan input have really made a difference for RtA's development.
Post Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:12 am