FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
From good to Perfect
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions: Return to Arms General Discussion

Author Thread
JML

From good to Perfect  Reply with quote  

Champions of Norrath was a fun game, there are just so many minor things that would have made it perfect. Depending on how you played the game you probably would have different suggestions. I read some peoples suggestions and thought they were stupid and would they really want that when the game came out.

ITEMS
Finding items in CoN was pretty cool and fun, but most of the time you were just looking for a weapon with a cool name and one of your old favorite graphics. The items need to be more desireable. If some of the yellow items had unique graphics or just a different color then the original that would still make it cool. Items have to have much more attributes then just different types of elemental damag or resist. For example that wizard staff could increase your frost storm by 3 skill points, or even better raise all your cold damage by a certain percentage. Crafting weapons should not always be the best alternative. Think of a barbarian choosing between a 2 hand sword that leached life, or duel wielding two swords that each brought up his sword skill. I wanna go online and have someone really want a rare item I have, not just go pop some gems in it and have the same one.

MONSTERS
This would skyrocket the fun of the game if the enemys could fight more like you. Think of you trying to catch up to your party and some wizard roots you, You ask the cleric to cancel magic the root or something. Or what if your friend was fighting and you saw him get engulfing darknessed, that would be good stuff. What about some huge orc cycloning into your party and wiping everyone out. If you have 7-12 skills the monsters should have a few to catch you off guard.

CLASS BALANCING
the biggest issue with the game was this. It would have been fun having the stategic party with the cleric healing and the barbarian tanking being the best choice, but instead 4 Critical Hit barbarians would destroy the game. Every single class here needs help,what makes it the hardest is because its trying to be both single player and multilpayer. The barbarian needs work badly, he needs to do much less damage, but yet be able to take alot more. The ranger definately should not be able to do godly damage from range. The shadow knight shouldnt suck that bad. The wizards spells need balancing, some are way to powerful while others just suck, and he needs more spells that do other things then damage. If you have 4 players, the clerics buffs should be a neccesity to the party. A cool idea but most likely too late now, would be If you had 4 Players, instead of the monsters getting stronger, the party could advance further and fight bigger and badder ones. Back to the shadow knight real quick, what were you thinking with that harm touch.

Lastly, PVP
Some people might not want to admit it, but your playing these games to build a character, a cool and strong character. What is the best way to test out your character, by destroying your friends. I should be the last one asking this since I chose to play a shadow knight in the game, but fun is fun.

I am feeling quite sick today and thats how I found time to write the frickin novel up there. But anyway if anyone reads this, these are some rock solid tips to make the game much funner and enjoyable. It might seem lot of stuff stolen from diablo, but the game already has a lot of stuff over diablo, these are just some of the things its missing.by the way no more quests where you find gay things like cats, no one wants that.
Post Mon May 31, 2004 9:36 pm
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

I agree with the Class Balancing especially in multiplayer. If they don't balance them then i say just split the experience 50/50 again. Some people might be happy with that but i don't think you can have it both ways. The Ranger and Barb are ridiculously overpowered whereas the SK just plain stinks and i again ask... what was the point of Harm Touch?

One problem with the first game was the fact that the best skills weren't the best skills. I'd like to see some secret skills that you get later in the game kind of like DA2 but make them worthwhile. Make the later skills worth it... that's all i mean.

As for your items suggestion. I'd be nice don't get me wrong but to think they'll change everything from the first game seems kind of far fetched. This is a sequel remember so don't be surprised if most things stay relatively the same with minor tweeks here and there in the form of more gems and new graphics.

I'm all for stronger and smater monsters. Maybe there is something in the Everquest world where the player fights a mirror image of him or herself? Maybe they can have a boss that is a shadow of you and uses your abilities... i don't know.

Lastly... good ol' PVP. This could seriously distinguish this game from being good and great. A well thoughtout PVP system would be a Godsend and innovative at the same time. I've made comments about this before in another post stating what would make it cool, like Counters and backwards walking. Nothing too complicated though cause i know it's still a hack and slash game. It sounds pretty easy in principle.

A lot of things that we've already heard about is impressing me already. They have a good while to go before launch so hopefully they'll be able to incorporate much more.

Oh and i hope you feel better soon!
Post Mon May 31, 2004 11:34 pm
JML

50/50 xp is not really that important, you can play with someone about 10-20 levels lower then you and still do fine so that doesnt bother me whatever they chose.

I would be happier If they took the time adding new properties to the items instead of another class. for example there is a shield in champions of norrath that lessens stun time by a percentage. Even though that shield is pretty useless its still on the right track with unique thinking.

the first time you even use harm touch, you can see how useless it is. This is just due to lack of time or testing. Its things like this that need to be worked out. With my shadow knight I tried to kill pelys by myself on champion difficutlty. This was extremely hard to do, but that was WITHOUT using engulfing darkness or shield bash. When I used those skills, I could the battle in seconds without losing any hp. I still think pelys is the best done boss they have tho.

I been reading a few places about jumping.. There is no need for it, keep it out and put good use to another button.

One other cool idea I had was instead of equipping a melee weapon and a bow. You could equip your primary and then HOLD L1 and equip some secondary weapons. For example a wizard could have is good damaging weapon to kill the enemies and then press L1 and switch to a weapon that regened his mana. Since this is an everquest I was suprised the wizard couldnt hold something in his other hand. In the computer game wizards could hold a club or whatever but in thier other hand they could hold books or Stiens that raised intelligence or mana.

Thanks for the feeling better part Very Happy
evidently i have a hole in my lung, this has given me a lot of free time as of lately.
Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:39 pm
Fizzy

50/50 experiance and sharing gold  Reply with quote  

spliting experiance 50/50 and sharing gold should be a option you can turn on or off when you pause the game and goto options, many players want to share experiance and gold and many players dont, making this a option would make both types of players happy.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:37 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

The 50/50 split idea is good and sort of bad in my opinion. The good is that Clerics and such won't fall way behind in experience if playing with Rangers, or Barbs, or even Wizards to an extent. However the bad part is, i feel it makes the game somewhat stale. It's like... oh go ahead and kill everything and i'll just sit back and watch all the while getting the same experience. I kind of feel like the person doing more of the work should be rewarded. I'm not sure what the ratio is for CON. I think it's like 60/40 in favor of kills but i'm not sure. My solution to all of this... just make it 55-45 so that way it pays off the player who does most of the work, and it satisfies the backline players in that they won't ever fall way behind.

The reason why it was less bothersome in DA2 was that you can up your Wisdom rank. So you get experience based on how high your Wisdom stat was. Since there is no such thing in CON, just use my idea above and be done with it. Very Happy

Ya.... anyway on to the next topic.

The sharing money part is a mixed bag to me also. There is less whoring involved with the sharing money deal which is either a good or bad thing depending on who you talk to. I honestly like the money sharing but i really doesn't bothered me either way. I usually play with a multitap with friends and if someone had more money than the other, we'd just have him buy our equipment. Obviously this is probably harder to achieve online but i think you can be screwed either way in the online game. Again like you said, the solution is to make it an option so you let the players decide which one they feel more comfortable with.

And of course in the end, when push comes to shove. Just take it out in the arena and chop his head off. Stand over his headless body for a few minutes. Be sure to gloat a little bit and take all of his equipment and sell it. Easy money... YAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PVP BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:55 am
Shifty Geezer

quote:
However the bad part is, i feel it makes the game somewhat stale. It's like... oh go ahead and kill everything and i'll just sit back and watch all the while getting the same experience.
I think that highly unlikely as...It's a COMPUTER GAME!!! Who plays computer games by doing absolutely nothing?! What fun is there to have in that? The idea with shared Exp is that the barbarian goes in hacking things up, which is barbarians jobm and then he dies. Unless the Cleric heals him, which is a Cleric's job. Only with the two working together can all the monsters be killed, Cleric keeping Barb alive, Barb keeping monsters dead, so both should get XP as they both contribute to the success of the mission.

If a Cleric character justs sits back doing nothing and still getting XP, who the hell would want to play a cleric?! What a boring character. They need a job to do and when they do it successfully, even if the job is not killing things, they should be rewarded as well as any other character that fulfills their role.

For shared money, just have it as an option then everyone's happy.

Shifty Geezer
Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:04 am
Arcturus

I more or less agree with everything said so far, but PVP does concern me cause of people who hack there characters w game shark, codebreaker, etc. Its also possible to build a god character useing only in game cheats w/o a cheat device, tho it takes a long time. I'd not like it if some guy just pops in at lvl 120 w max stats and all the feats and starts killing off all the players.

This is something that really should be addressed concerning PVP
Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:18 pm
Shifty Geezer

One-on-one PVP is pointless in this sort of game. The guy with the powerful ranged attack shoots the powerful melee character from afar until they're dead. Whoop-de-doo. If you want to challenge someone to a fight, play Tekken or some other mass-sequelled beat-'em-up. PvP is only there so you have to be cautious when using powerful spells, adding tactics to the gameplay (as well as blasting your friends in the back when they don't expect it!!) As long as it's switch-off-and-on-able, there can be no complaints
Post Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:31 pm
Cestode Raffity!

I'd like to see a friendly damage on option, so if you're after a real multiplayer challenge, players spells, arrows and melee attacks will hit the other players. This would require incredible skill not to massacre the other party members, and would add a whole new dimension for advanced players.

I think gold sharing and exp sharing should be optional so people can play how they want to. If it has to be one of the other, I'd say no to gold sharing, and no to exp sharing BUT exp should come from other things than kills, so that supporting characters get exp for providing support.
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:06 pm
Shifty Geezer

After being shot by my party's Ranger with his stink flame arrows (hits a wall next to me and sets me alight) I feel normal in-game PvP won't work in CoN because there'll be too much friendly fire. It could be a nice addition to party actionRPGs but I'm not sure CoN is the right platform for it now...

Shifty Geezer
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:11 pm
fireicedarklight

playerS vs playerS  Reply with quote  

how about giant online games when 100 peeps sign up to be on either the dark side or light side and have a huge game over the biggest plane in RTA's? ne1 think that would be cool, but there would need to be like u can only get the stuff of the ppl u kill and there would be a lvl limit of say 20 to 25 , but lets have a reward for winning like 5,000 exp or money or a weapon designed from the snowblind peeps, ne takers on this idea???!!?!?!
Our site-www.freewebs.com/fadwyer
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:59 pm
Shifty Geezer

Re: playerS vs playerS  Reply with quote  

Won't happen with this generation of hardware. PS2's already hard-pushed enough to maintain 4 players, let only several hundred!!!

Shifty Geezer
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:03 pm
fireicedarklight

could be on ps possibly eh? have u heard about the new blue ray disc thats taking th DVD's place?
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:27 pm
Shifty Geezer

BluRay that'll feature in PS3 is, AFAIK, Sony's take on a DVD replacement. Other companies have joined together to work on an alternative standard. As is always the way, Sony are trying to tell the rest of the world what standard ( their standard) to use (Other examples include Memory Stick instead of SD or CF memory cards and ATRAC instead of MP3). Their idea is that, with so many people owning PS3s, there'll be a huge installed user-base for BluRay making it the preferred publishing choice for producers. Plus, because Sony have a media arm (films and music) that the other electronics manufacturers don't have, Sony do have a bit of influence in encouraging their format nowadays. I don't know the specs on the alternative DVD standard, but BluRay offers up to about 6 times the capacity of DVD, primarily for providing hi-res images for HDTV (about 5x the size of a PAL image).

Hopefullky PS3 will deliver on Sony's promise of stupid amounts of power, which'll make RPGs take a whole new step in evolution.

Shifty Geezer
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:13 pm
fireicedarklight

agreed lol where did u get all that info?
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:19 pm