FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
Lockups/Freezing? TRY THIS
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions of Norrath Technical Issues

Author Thread
makoshark

Lockups/Freezing? TRY THIS  Reply with quote  

I know it been posted over and over that cleaning your PS2 laser lens may fix some of the disc read errors, however, after 2 attempts it didnt help me. Yesterday I thought I would give it one more try, if that didnt fix it I would be done with CoN, seeing as I was on my third disc and all other games and DVD's read just fine in my PS2 (2 yrs old). I tried something a little different this time and I played for about 5 hrs afterwords, no lockups at all. Here's what I did:
I will assume everyone knows by know how to get to the laser apparatus. When ejecting or removing the CD tray that exposes the laser apparartus, you will notice 2 silver rails on each side of the laser that act as a track for the laser apparatus to slide back and forth on. I notice on mine that some gunk had built up on the rails so I cleaned it off. I also nudged the apparatus slightly so I could get to the gunk sitting right beneath it. IMPORTANT! I then took a qtip and vaseline and applied a light coat of the vaseline to the rails. After this procedure my PS2 played the game without a lockup for a solid 5 hrs, where I would get a lockup or freeze Guaranteed within an hour of CoN previously (sometimes it wouldnt boot up at all).

This DOES NOT fix the sound lag, texture draw-in, or gameplay bugs.

makoshark
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:14 pm
Liggur

So like a car, the PS2 needs a service every now and then Smile
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:42 pm
makoshark

Apparently. just want to try and save people from buying a whole new PS2 if its just a simple prob like this. Although I am sure Sony would dig it if everyone replaced their PS2 to play CoN.
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:08 pm