Home
Games News Company Info Jobs Forums
Contact
FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
Disc Read Error problems on this game only!
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions of Norrath Technical Issues

Author Thread
fixation

Disc Read Error problems on this game only!  Reply with quote  

Ok I just cannot get my PS2 to read this game. I keep getting disc read errors! At first I thought it could have just been a bad disk so I took it over to my neighbors house and it worked just fine in his PS2.

My PS2 reads other games just fine but this one. What could it be? I know the discs have dual layer technology and I am thinking maybe that is what it is. My PS2 is one of the earlier models and I have never ever had it give me a disc read error now until this game. This is such a shame too because the game looks like loads of fun. Crying or Very sad
Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:32 pm
ronkthelo

I feel your pain  Reply with quote  

Hey, exact thing happened to me yesterday. I spet five hours with the game and my PS2 (lots of driving from store to store), but I can now play. I also have one of the first PS2s to come out. I have never had another problem except for this game. Long story short, I had to use compressed air to clean it, clean the laser with a cleaning disk (4 or 5 times), and wash the game in a disk washer, but now it works. It was still a little bit of a battle to get through the opening of the game, but now it works. I seems like my PS2 is really working hard to read/process the game, but it works. I seem to have a few additional slow downs, more than others I know, but not enough to cause any major problems (mostly music and in game voice delays (i.e. I am too full, can't carry anymore)). Things like the sound from the save game are also not there about 1/2 the time. I hope this helps, the game is still great with these few minor problems. Anyone else without an early model PS2 having these problems. I also have some texture painting issues, but this may be the case for everyone.
Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:06 pm
fixation

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if it is because the disc is dual layered? Once I did get the game to load but if froze at the title screen. It did sound like the PS2 was working really hard to try and read the disc.
Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:15 pm
ronkthelo

I went through the same process you are describing. At first it did nothing. Then I could get the opening screen, freeze. Then I could start a game, freeze. Opening movie, freeze. It finally worked after I did the lens cleaning disk and washed the game. I bet they never tested the game on a first generation PS2 and it also seems to have to be a perfectly clean disk and PS2 for it to work. From the other threads, it sounds like some others are having sound effect problems. I would bet they have earlier PS2s. Good luck with the cleaning, hope it works.
Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:24 pm
fixation

Ok well I will give it a try. I wonder if this is going to be a big problem for us who have the first PS2's that came out.
Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:47 pm
unreality

The first PS2's are poop, no offence, but nobody should EVER buy a system in it's first year of production.
Alot of people have had these problems, the common solution is to open your PS2 up and clean the lens eye with some cleanser, this has fixed ALL the cases i've heard of.
Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:58 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ribkage

I had this problem when I first tried to load the game. It wouldnt even load and give me the error. I just grabbed my canned air and blew out all the vents and inside of the ps2 and the game is fine now. You really should invest in canned air, seriously. It works wonders on dusty electronics. Just open the try and blow air onside, hopefully the problem is dust on the lens and itll solve that.

This was also the only game it wouldnt load, my ps2 loaded dual layered dvds fine. Works perfectly now though. Get canned air, I cant stress it enough, it really does work, as funny as it sounds.
Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:05 pm
Gaut

Had the same problem.

This fixed it:
http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/003/gaming/ps2/ps2-1.html
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:22 am
danothebull

I think i wll have the smae problem because i have a new PS2 and my brother has an old PS2. My room is tiny so when my mates are round at my house we play on my brothers. So we will be playing on my brothers PS2 on CoN 4player co-op. and his PS2 has fallen twice and has problems reading other games. I might have to swap the PS2's around until I get bored with CoN (hopefully that wont ahppen for a long time).
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:41 pm