Snowblind Studios > Champions: Return to Arms General Discussion

Author Thread
TornadoError404

Personally I think they should forget about putting Pvp into the game
It's totally pointless
Put in an armor crafting / weapon crafting shop function instead
Post Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:09 am
Shifty Geezer

Camera Panning : I was ultimately disappointed by the maximum zoom-out in CoN. I had hoped it'd give a good lookahead but it centres on your character and provides an all-round view. The middle-zoom most often has the best lookahead range.

What'd be really nice and easy to do is allow positioning of the camera relative to the player on maximum zoom out, so players can move the camera up and leave the character at the bottom of the screen, giving maybe a 20% more advance warning/targets to shoot at range view but reducing view behind the character. As there'd be no more on screen in this case then with the camera fixed to it's current position I can't see any negative reason against it's implementation.

Perhaps pressing and holding the R3 button would allow the Right stick to move the camera, whereas pressing and releasing quickly changes the map?

Shifty Geezer
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:24 pm
LSanguine

Re: Return to Arms Wishlist  Reply with quote  

Skipping the bits I have no argument with/nothing to add to.

quote:
Originally posted by Brendon

3) Make Rangers actually have pets this time. In Champions, Rangers are nothing more than archers. Giving them permanent animal pets and possibly some actual ranger-like abilities would help.

The thing is that CoN is based on Everquest, I know it's built on the foundation of the Baldur's Gate game, but if it's going to have the EQ brand, then the characters should reflect what they do in the lore of the EQ world. Hence rangers do not have pets (World of Warcraft's hunters have pets, but not EQ's rangers). EQ rangers are usually dual-weilding, archers, and with somewhat weak offensive magic and a few buffs. They're considered a damage-dealing class as opposed to a casting class or a tanking (damage taking) class.

quote:

11) I liked the initial concept behind the rotating inventory of item shops, but if you wanted something there that you are just shy of being able to afford, it'll be gone by the time you get back. If you keep the rotating inventories, why not include a "layaway" system that characters can put an item on hold by making a payment on it. That way, the inventory can rotate, but the item players really want won't disappear.

Adding to this, or at least similar, have a player "bank" where items can be stored. It's a feature in both Everquest and also Diablo which is an obvious inspiration for these games. I haven't yet finished the game but when I was level 13/14 and fought the Ant Queen, she dropped a True Helm, required level:19, which entailed carrying it around in my inventory for several more days of playing.

If level 19 drops are going to come off level 13/14 mobs, then there should be a way to put them aside for later.

quote:

13) Split shops up into different parts of a village. Why buy healing potions at the same place you buy weapons? Yeah, yeah, some players will complain that they want everything in one place, but it's likely those players don't care about story and interaction either; just the hack and slash bits. If you want to add depth, little things like this go a long way.

Disagree. If we're to have lots of interaction I'd rather they were with meaningful NPCs rather then having to spend time running all over town to do what is essentially RPG book-keeping. The camps in Diablo 2 were reasonable because all the merchants were 6 seconds away from one another.

Most importantly, at least from my perspective - Allow PAL players to have a 60hz option for fullscreen. Honestly forcing players from PAL regions to play in squished 50hz "widescreen" in this day and age is just pure laziness.
Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:09 pm
Attalus

Yeah I agree that the 60hz option should come in but not enough Pal players realise the inferiority of the standard 50hz compared to what US and JP players enjoy. Publishers believe they can get away without it.
Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:22 pm
Brendon

A couple of days of hard coding could easily take care of that. Capcom reminds me of one of the biggest culprits in that area. I feel sorry for the Europeans in that respect.
Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:25 am
Liggur

Agree with the 50-60hz option, although CoN is not as bad as some games out there, What I hate is EA 50hz optimization where you get horrid stuttering during the FMV sequances is awful.
Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:43 pm
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

Not sure if this has been mentioned but make the info on the game screen transparent when you go over them. This was especially a problem in the multiplayer offline game. If you had four players the screen sometimes got way too cluttered. With four life, mana, experience bars on top of the screen and a quest tally marker underneath, it made the playing area way too small. I'd suggest cleaning it up, make it smaller, or make it transparent when you walk over it.

As for the shield comment. I don't think the shield is used as much for blocking as it is for that extra armor bonus. Sure we can argue all day as to how the armor numbers really work in this game but still... In any case there should be a difference in your ability to take hits based on whether you have the extra AC or not.
Post Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:13 am
Sakagami

Ok, about (if not more) half of this stuff will most likely NOT be going into the game, but:

1. 3rd Person Veiw directly BEHIND the character so you can see ahead.
2. 1 complete world (like EQ) Offline and Online
3. The KOS factor (kill on sight), maybe due to a war. Ex. an Iksar or the whole race being attacked by guards upon entering a town because he/another of his race killed the leader of the attacking town. All of which would be alerted by reatime events, then a notcie appearing that displays that the Iksar have signed a truce with...whatever.
4. CASTLE SIEGE Very Happy
5. Horses. a faster way to travel, purchase a horse from a stable master, faster horses cost more, etc. Maybe armor for your horse as well, in case you are attacked on your adventure.
6. Jousting
7. Special skilled gained by doing something for a master of the martial style.
8. Bluntly, make the characters more unique, I know theres already been alot of people discussing (or arguing, whatever you wish to call it) about this.
9. Minor things, engraving something onto your sword, or tieing your favorite bandana or jewel around it.
10. Displaying upgrades. Say you put 3 jewels into your favorite sword. maybe the first jewel just above the hilt, the next about a quarter of an inch higher, etc.
11.Customizing a weapons look. Maybe a long sword with a jagged edge instead of just a different color silver or whatever.
12. Same thing with armor.
13. An earring or necklace showing up on a character.

Thats all I can think of right now.
Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:18 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

I know you guys are wrapping up production on the game pretty soon, if not already, but i thought i'd sneak in one last suggestion. You might have very well thought of this already but just in case you haven't here's the idea. This is in regards to the new Shadow Knight Shadow Step spell in RtA. We know that it'll allow the SK to disappear and reappear somewhere else on the map with higher levels leaving a dark cloud or something of that nature behind. Now i'm wondering whether you'll have control over where the SK can be placed on the map. I think it would do the spell a lot of good if there was an aura of some sort on the map that you can put the SK in when he/she reappears. This would allow the player to strategically plan the next move whether it'd be defensive or offensive. Say you're running out of health and you want to get to that check point so you don't die and have to start over from say 15 minutes ago. Anyway you can then have your SK reappear close to the check point/save potentially out of harms way. This is the defensive kind of use i'm talking about. Now say you want to be offensive. You'll then be able to Shadow Step behind some enemy or enemies. It adds a bit of a stealth element to the game that everyone can appreciate.

To go a little more in depth with it i'd say make the aura small or make the spell random at lower levels so you're still kind of restricted as to where you want to place yourself. Higher levels will allow a bigger aura and of course the confusion cloud. Also make a very short time limit as to how long you can decide. The key here is to not make the aura obstrusive. Just a sort of ghostly looking aura flat on the ground, not like the bubble looking critical auras and such. Also i want to note that the angle your character faces does not matter since the controls are very responsive and for the most part you'll know exactly what you'll be doing before you even reappear.

Anyway that's just a suggestion that you could very well have already implimented. Thank you for your time.
Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:32 am