Register Profile PM's Login/Out
variations between difficulty modes
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions: Return to Arms General Discussion

Author Thread
aeiou

variations between difficulty modes  Reply with quote  

Hi All,

One thing I'd like to see in RtA is variations in battles between difficulty settings. After completing CoN 4 or so times, I'm pretty bored with replaying the same old thing i.e. your fighting the same enemies they're just tougher to kill and do more damage. Tougher enemies are a given, but more variation would be exciting.

I know that some of the levels are randomly generated, but it's not that effective..

Taking the first mission as an example (clearing the tree tops), how about:
Adventurous mode: Kill all the goblins.
Courageous mode: Kill a mix of goblins, some in armour, or with bows and maybe a couple of orcs etc..
Champion mode: Kill a mix of goblins/orcs and maybe a couple of dire badgers??

You could even have a few 'mode' based monsters e.g. bugbears that are only appear on champion mode etc..

Once you complete the game, and replay it at a higher difficulty, there are no more surprises - it would be brilliant if there was..

Plus, it would be easy to modify monster battles on alot of the levels without needing to change the story line.

Fighting Shelox the spider was pretty cool, but imagine fighting her on champions mode with her offspring attacking you at the same time??

SEPERATELY, if you can play good or evil in RtA, I'd love to play as a goblin or orc.

cheers
aeiou
Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:52 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

Although those are good ideas, it probably won't happen. They are getting rid of the random dungeons this time around. Whether it'll be missed is a question that's up in the air. The developers are boosting the replay value emensely this time around by adding a slew of mini games and making the good and evil games noticeably different from each other. If they can make PVP worthwhile that'll be another bonus. In any case it should be huge and will satisfy most.
Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:55 am
Attalus

Still I really hope theres alot more variation in the enemey types in each area. Too many of them look and act very samey, even when your fighting a different enemy it often feel like the same thing but with a different skin.
Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:08 pm
aeiou

Different stories for good and evil are cool and hopefully so is PVP, but I'm not sure about the mini-games. Half the time they're just lame versions of sports games and I often feel that the time could have been better spent focusing on the true game..

Hopefully, I'm wrong about THESE mini-games though. Smile
Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:53 pm
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

Running around in an arena fighting wave after wave of enemies starting with no armor or weapons or potions sounds very fun. You'll only be able to use what's dropped of the enemies. Picking up gold gives you health.

According to the developer diary at Gamespy the people working on the game seem very proud of these games that they have put in. I'll take their word for it.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:44 am
aeiou

that sounds quite cool - think I'll check out the developer diary.
thanks!
Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:47 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

This game should be fantastic. The developers seem very proud as to what they've accomplished so far. The only thing that concerns me slightly is the short development cycle. They seem to be pressing to meet deadlines but i guess we'll never know how rushed they were until we get the game. I'm optimistic though that things will turn out grand.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:24 am
Shifty Geezer

Time shouldn't be an issue. This game's been in development for over a year after the original's completion and a lot of stuff added may be carrying on from partially complete ideas that had to be left out of CoN. With the engine fully in place content creation and tweaks aren't anywhere near as timeconsuming so I'm not expecting anything rushed.

If there's anything to be worried about, it's the developer's being proud! DA2's devs talked about how they loved the game they were writing but it had some huge flaws. Perhaps loving something too much results in an unobjective view of it, and annoying problems are glossed over when viewed through rose tinted specs?

Shifty Geezer
Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:44 pm
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

There's no reason why you can't be proud and still realize things can be better, both at the same time.

I'm sure they're proud of their work but know they are far from finished. They have about 5 months to go and it looks like they'll need all of it.
Post Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:52 am