FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
SnowBlind is the new Black Isle right?
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Snowblind General Feedback & Suggestions

Author Thread
zargon03

SnowBlind is the new Black Isle right?  Reply with quote  

If SnowBlind is the new Black Isle, then where is the Fallout forums, the Fallout Bible? Does anyone have any info about these things?
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:01 pm
PretzNChz

Re: SnowBlind is the new Black Isle right?  Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by zargon03
If SnowBlind is the new Black Isle, then where is the Fallout forums, the Fallout Bible? Does anyone have any info about these things?

Snowblind is an entirely different entity from Black Isle. Snowblind and Black Isle worked together (to what extent I'm not certain) on the original Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, but they have always been two different development shops. Snowblind has been around since 1997, having developed some Nintendo 64 games (Top Gear Overdrive). Black Isle worked on many different RPGs for Interplay, but was closed down at the end of last year I believe.

As for Fallout, I'm not sure what is going to happen with that license. I'm assuming Interplay held the license for those games, but now that Interplay appears to be no more I'm not sure what will happen. Unless someone manages to acquire the license, I think we might be at the end of the Fallout series.

http://www.veterangamers.com
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:15 pm
zargon03

Interesting...Grim but interesting.  Reply with quote  

It is sad that Interplay bit the dust. and will be a sad day indeed if the Fallout licence fades from existance. Thanks for the reply, and if anyone has any information of about the future of Fallout, or Black Isle please let me know. My email is: . Thanks.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:59 am
PretzNChz

Just noticed this press release. Looks like Bethesda has picked up the Fallout license:

Fallout 3 Licensed to Bethesda

quote:
Originally posted by The Wargamer
Developer and publisher Bethesda Softworks announced late today it had secured the licensing rights to the famed Fallout 3 title from troubled publisher Interplay. The announced deal gives the developer the rights to develop and publish the RPG sequel on the PC, consoles, and other platforms, as well as any additional titles. The only rights not extended were the persistent online elements, which Interplay has indicated it will use to develop a Fallout MMORPG in the future.

The RPG franchise began in 1997 with Fallout, a post-apocalyptic tactical and role playing game in which the player controlled a squad of troops and led them into a savage world of mutants and nuclear holocaust. The Wargamer later covered Fallout 2 in a preview and Fallout Tactics in a review. Fallout 3 has long been rumored to be in development, but Interplay's financial woes of the past year had shuttered its progress until today's announcement.

Bethesda is best known for its work on the Elder Scrolls series of RPG titles, including the most recent title, Morrowind. That title received widespread praise among critics, and early buzz on their purchase of the Fallout 3 license is considered quite positive. There is no estimated release date for the game, but the studio did note it was developing the game alongside a next generation Elder Scrolls title.

“We’re extremely excited about this opportunity and what it means both for Bethesda and for Fallout fans around the world,” said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks. “Fallout is one the great RPG franchises. Millions of Fallout games have been sold worldwide, and fans have been eagerly awaiting the release of a Fallout 3 title. Bethesda’s proven expertise in this genre, building on our experience and the tremendous success we have enjoyed with our cutting-edge Elder Scrolls® series, will enable us to create the next chapter of Fallout that is worthy of the franchise.”

Commenting on this development, Interplay Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Herve Caen said, “This is a good agreement for both companies and for gamers. Although several parties had a high level of interest in licensing Fallout, we are most impressed by Bethesda’s execution of role-playing titles. Bethesda is an ideal steward of the Fallout franchise.”

“We are overjoyed,” said Howard. “Fallout is one of my favorite games, and we plan to develop a visually stunning and original game for Fallout 3 with all the hallmarks of a great RPG: player choice, engaging story, and non-linearity.”

http://www.veterangamers.com
Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:34 pm
Billy

Yea, read that earlier. Sounds pretty nice, and I hope we see something soon.
Post Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:47 am
Vendetta

The closest thing to a "New Black Isle" is Obsidian, they seem to have picked up a few of the key Black Isle members.
Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:49 am