Home
Games News Company Info Jobs Forums
Contact
FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
Some Ranger Advice Please
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions of Norrath Gameplay, Tips & Tricks (Spoilers!)

Author Thread
Strider

Some Ranger Advice Please  Reply with quote  

Hello Everyone,

First of all I just want to say, AWESOME game Snowblind!!
I have a level 21 Ranger but i'm not sure if his stats are very good. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on stat points/skills that they really recommend to be a must to be an awesome ranger. Here is some of my stats for my level 21 ranger.

110 Strength
25 Intelligence
56 Dexterity
30 Stamina

10 - Archery
10 - Slashing
1 - Multi
1 - Endurance
1 - Exploding Arrow
1 - Entangle
1 - Regeneration
1 - Heal
2 - Dual Weapon

I now this is very unbalanced, any advice would help me Smile And last of all i'm not sure if Dual Weapon is even worth it.

Thanks For Your Time,

Strider
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:09 am
Pureone

Confused Shocked

He's a ranger right? Then why are you making him a close combat expert, he's not meant for that. He's supposed to have alot more dexterity than anything else. 110 strength? Laughing That just takes away everything from dex, stamina, and mana. I mean wow... It's way too late for correcting him but if you really want to follow the path of the ranger, new game's the only way to go.

If you really like the CC, then get the barb. And yes duel weapons are great for the ranger, but only on higher levels.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:39 pm
qtitania547

I agree  Reply with quote  

I have to agree. I was thinking about starting a ranger and then I decided that he is helpful in a group but by himself he's not as good. Hope that helps.

P.S. He's better ranged than anything else that I've used.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:57 pm
Woos

Pump the Dexterity!!!!!  Reply with quote  

Find yourself a decent bow, this comes in the best with enemy drops. Lay off the strength for a while. I loaded up on Archery, dexterity, endurance.
I use the extra endurance to load up on arrows, as I go through them mercilessly.

Keep one decent sword on hand, and sink everything you can into your Freeze, Fire and Multi arrows.

I personally like to the multi for the gangs of enemies that show up. You really clean house, but again need lots of arrows. Remember to keep a decent amount of space between yourself and your enemies. Only use your swords when you have to.
Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:32 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

Your stamina seems awful low as well as your intelligence. How do you live long at all with 30 stamina? Hopefully you have some gems that can boost some of those atributes. Your strength is ridiculous. Just make sure you put a lot into dexterity and intelligence in your next level ups. With intelligence you can restore mana more quickly so you don't fire just two fire arrows and have to use a mana potion. There are lots of good armor pieces, boots, gauntlets, etc you can find which add 10-15 intelligence. Your close combat meleing is probably great but i'm telling you, using your bow and arrows makes the game a lot easier. I just past Act III and i didn't have one problem with any of the bosses. I just stood and shot my fire arrows till they died. It was so simple i almost cried.
Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:52 am
tokerblue

Also, don't spend any more points on Dual Wield. It's not a great skill in general and the points would be wiser spent elsewhere. Read the Dual Wield topic on the main forum for reasons.
Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:47 pm
Enomolee77

Duel weild isn't useless...

-Less Than Jake
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:02 am
tokerblue

Dual Wield is useless unless you get it to level 20. The speed increase doesn't compensate for the damage. At level 20, it can be useful, but only in the ways specified in the thread.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:52 pm
Enomolee77

wrong...

-Less Than Jake
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:06 pm
droobies

Instead of posting one or two word replies, why don't you enlighten us then? Where is the great advantage in DW aside from having a max of three extra slots in your offhand weapon? All signs point to that being the only worthwhile reason for using DW.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:31 pm
Enomolee77

All I know is that i do attack faster with duel weild. So its not the overpowered version you find in BGDA2. Oh no. Its not like any game with any repute gives you two attacks a round for duel weilding right off the bat. Just look at the grandfather of RPGs, dungeons and dragons. Off hand attacks were severly penalized, and you didn't get one off hand attack per on hand attack. Not only that, but the game this is based on doesn't even function like that. My beastlord had a duel weild skill that was maxed at lvl 56 and he didn't hit twice every single round. It happened often, but still it wasn't a given. I guess DW doesn't meet YOUR expectations, but that doesn't mean its broken or useless. Its just not UBER like you all want it to be. Perhaps BGDA2 is more up your ally? Hell, you can block from any angle, so its easier too.

-Less Than Jake
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:48 am
tokerblue

quote:
All I know is that i do attack faster with duel weild.

> From my Dual Wield topic. Dual Wield is NOT much faster.
Some more research on a 40 hit attack string. 10 tests in each case.

Long Sword was the research weapon. Barbarian was the character. Dual Wield Level is 20.

Long Sword (Normal)
Single Hand (40 Attacks) = 19 Seconds = 2.11 Attacks/second
Dual Wield (40 Attacks) = 15.5 Seconds = 2.58 Attacks/second
> Conclusion: Dual Wield is 22.58% faster (~5 Attacks vs. 4 Attacks in the same time)

Long Sword (Fast)
Single Hand (40 Attacks) = 16 Seconds = 2.50 Attacks/second
Dual Wield (40 Attacks) = 14 Seconds = 2.86 Attacks/second
> Conclusion: Dual Wield is 14.28% faster (~8 Attacks vs. 7 Attacks in the same time)

I'll test Lightning soon. The attacks are so fast and seeing that the speed increase of Dual Wield was cut almost in half with the Fast speed gem, the benefit for Lightning is marginal at best.

quote:
So its not the overpowered version you find in BGDA2. Oh no. Its not like any game with any repute gives you two attacks a round for duel weilding right off the bat.

> That's what Dual Wield implies. Two attacks.

quote:
Just look at the grandfather of RPGs, dungeons and dragons. Off hand attacks were severly penalized, and you didn't get one off hand attack per on hand attack.

> But you still get at least 1 extra attack with the offhand weapon. In CoN, you NEVER get an extra attack.

quote:
Not only that, but the game this is based on doesn't even function like that. My beastlord had a duel weild skill that was maxed at lvl 56 and he didn't hit twice every single round. It happened often, but still it wasn't a given.

> If that's the case, CoN functions NOTHING like the PC EQ.

quote:
I guess DW doesn't meet YOUR expectations, but that doesn't mean its broken or useless. Its just not UBER like you all want it to be. Perhaps BGDA2 is more up your ally?

> It's done better in BG:DA2. Simple as that. Dual Wield is virtually worthless with Lightning speed weapons.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:10 am
Thurond

u need 2 trade in sum o those str fer sum dex pal my ranger is lvl 15 and he got 75 er sumtime dex. (maybe more)

A champion shall be forever challenged!!!
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:38 pm
fireicedarklight

haha i'm a lvl 41 ranger!
Our site-www.freewebs.com/fadwyer
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:09 am
RangerWill

As a ranger its probably best to spend 90% of your points on dexterity, to make the best use of your bow. I read somewhere it's best to max the critical aura abillity first too.
Post Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:44 am