Home
Games News Company Info Jobs Forums
Contact
FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
[Update] CoN installed to Hardrive - Test results.
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions of Norrath Technical Issues

Author Thread
Liggur

[Update] CoN installed to Hardrive - Test results.  Reply with quote  

I have a tip for all those CoN players with Disc read problems. But only in offline mode.

You will need:

CoN.
A PS2.
A Network Card.
An IDE Harddrive - 40gig or more.
A copy of HD Loader . Available in PAL and NTSC versions.

As CoN is one disc, I thought I would try using HD Loader to put CoN onto my Harddrive. The supposed dual layer single disc that us PAL users got is infact only 3gig in size (according to HD Loader) Vice City was larger. So 3 gig capacity isn't dual layer. Correction, it is Dual layer, HD loader just doesnt read all the data

I used HD loader successfully, no read errors. You have to set the software to Compatabilty mode 3 for CoN to run.

Thats it.
I have been playing it from my HDD over the last 2 days, very quick loading times, no read errors. There was the occasional delay for some textures, but that is due to processing speed more than loading times from the disc.

So all in all the game runs great, but bear in mind I have only got as far as the Spider caves under Gfay so far.

If this post breaks any T&C regs, i'm sorry, but I thought it important that people who are having trouble loading, should be able to try this, rather expensive solution.

Edit: NOTE You can't play online with this method, due to way that the DNAS system works, to play online, you will need to boot from the disc

This only works up to the middle of Act II.

Last edited by Liggur on Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:05 pm
Liggur

Snowblind, or anyone, feel free to comment on my post and correct me if you know I am wrong.
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:56 pm
Liggur

As no one else as corrected my post. I will add an update.

The disc is Dual layer. When running from the HD install, I went to the lower lava field, the game crashed, black screen. But this was only because, that level wasnt copied to my drive. I retried, by booting from the CD, and the level loaded no problem. The HD installer, was not able to copy all the data from the CoN disc to the hddrive, as I stated earlier, only 3 gig was installed, and as it crashed during Act II, I will assume that only half of the game was transfered.

The delay in textures being displayed is NOT caused by dual layer disc access, because I had some delayed textures when running off the HD loader install. So It must be memory management and Processor problems that cause this.

I have not yet had any inventory crash. As no dual layer access was being done obviously, but there were some delays in displaying the item images, again down to memory and processor speed.

So take from this little experiment what you will, and I hope that it helps track down the cause of the problems that people are having with the game.
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:18 pm
Shifty Geezer

I was going to suggest the ripper couldn't read both layers of DVD. What you say about the popin is interesting. SB have implied that this wasn't an issue during development. However, because of the sporadic nature of the problem I guess it's not easy to point the finger at any particular aspect of the game.

Shifty Geezer
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:43 pm
PretzNChz

My copy of HDLoader arrived today, so I'll be playing around with my games tonight. I'm curious if loading to the hard drive reduces/eliminates the audio lag on character voices.

Hopefully the HDLoader folks will figure out how to support DVD9s. I'd love to have my whole PS2 collection available at a moment's notice! From what I've read it isn't just due to missing data on the second layer, but also because some games use different hardware calls to get at data on the second layer.

Anyway, I'm sure that given enough time and effort someone will get it working.

As for talk about HDLoader, I see no problem with it so long as we avoid talking about game piracy.

http://www.veterangamers.com
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:53 pm