Home
Games News Company Info Jobs Forums
Contact
FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
Are New PS2s worse than old PS2s for palying CoN?
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions of Norrath General Discussion

Author Thread
Shifty Geezer

Are New PS2s worse than old PS2s for palying CoN?  Reply with quote  

I played DA1 on an original release PS2 and it played very nicely, but with a little rare pop-in when things got complicated (camera swinging round, lots of spell lighting effects, etc.)

Replaying DA1 on a brand new latest edition PS2, there's a LOT more pop-in, and CoN style occassions of huge numbers of tiles missing and the character walking on black spaces. There's the same delays in getting to hear the voices when informing you they haven't room for that item, or aren't strong enough to carry any more as well. There's a noticeable amoung of DVD spin up and spin-down. I wonder if the latest hardware has managed to introduce problems into streaming DVD data?

Shifty Geezer
Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:15 pm
Billy

Maybe it's the Ps2. I know I'm using a new Ps2 and it works A LOT better then my old Ps2...
Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:33 pm
PretzNChz

quote:
Originally posted by Billy
Maybe it's the Ps2. I know I'm using a new Ps2 and it works A LOT better then my old Ps2...

I have a launch day PS2 and it still works great. The only real problem I've had with Champions of Norrath is that it locked up once while playing with my wife and a friend of ours. There's a little bit of background fill-in from time to time, and we have the voiceover delay like everyone else. Beyond that no issues whatsoever. As for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, I don't recall any sound issues, although there was a little bit of fill-in, particularly in the outdoor snow level.

I'm sure it is a combination of any number of factors. PS2 model, disc cleanliness, DVD laser cleanliness, and PS2 ventilation could all be factors in how well your PS2 performs. If you still have your original PS2, it would be interesting to try the exact same disc and see if there's any difference.

http://www.veterangamers.com
Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:15 pm
fireicedarklight

yah my ps2 recently froze up a couple times and i one of my freinds older brothers ps2 which is old like mine , actually stopped reading discs altogether! so yes it is true the newer ps2's r a bit better even ask sony
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:28 pm
Liggur

I was getting some small background fill when playing from the harddrive, so it could be a delay in the processor rather than the laser read.
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:36 pm
Nataku

I read in a walkthrough that so called "launch ps2'S" have this delay problems and newer ones shall not have it.
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:34 pm