Snowblind Studios > Champions: Return to Arms General Discussion

Author Thread
Attalus

Re: ...  Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by Brendon
quote:
Originally posted by Mindcircus
I agree Brendon, but we have to remember that this is a sequel not a whole new game. Some things will have to remain pretty much the same based on the importing feature of first game characters. One thing that's a must is a PVP system though. Hopefully they'll do it right... i have faith.

I like all your ideas though.

Aye, but I believe what needs to be done is to totally redesign how some of the feats and skills work (like critical aura, for example), even though the same skills were in the first game. Word has it that the two new races have virtually the same skills as the barbarian and wizard, with only a few minor skills/spells and their look to differentiate them. I vote thumbs down to that.

Another rumor I'm hearing is there are only one or two added skills to the existing characters, when there should actually be loads more. Twice as many if you ask me. When our site interviewed the dev team for the first game, there was supposed to be 20 skills each that can be upgraded 20 times. None of the classes have 20 skills as it is, and if they add only one or two more, they'd still be under twenty.

Basically, I say that they should completely overhaul the game. And that one-year development cycle makes me nervous.

I really hope these rumours aren't true. I already feared 1 of the new chracters would play like 1 of the existing chracters, but BOTH of them? Is that due to lack of ideas or creativity? Anyhow I hope this isn't actually the case.

It's true the chracters should get more skills and feel noticebly more advanced than their CON forms. The importing character idea is no good, this is supposed to be a new game where you would build your character in new ways in addition to the old and gain a whole new range of items so starting from scratch is still interesting. I wonder how much memory is wasted incorporating the entire set of CON's items to facilitate the importing and how much is left over for new stuff.

Im not sure sure buying the 1st game would be worth it especially if it would spoil my enjoyment of a samey but superior sequel.
Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:28 pm
Mindcircus

Re: ...  Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by Shifty Geezer
quote:
Originally posted by Mindcircus
If you have like 20-30 skills there's no way you'll even be close to maxing all of them out.
Why do you need to max them all by the end of the game? Have it so you CAN'T max them all and have to choose how to play the character, then play it differently two years later.

quote:
Did anyone here actually use resistance jewelry here? I'd much rather have a +29 strength, dexterity, intelligence, and stamina rings on.
In pretty much every RPG no matter who you play you only need add increased strength/intelligence to cruise through the game. It'd be nice to have a game where maxing Str was compensated by other limits. Usually it means you kill everything before it can hurt you.

Perhaps instead of independant elemental/magical resistances, you just have a flat elemental/magical resistance value that works for all magics? Then 50% resistance is worthwhile against all magical attacks, instead of good against fire but not against everything else.
quote:
Also i don't think the one year development cycle should make you nervous. They're using the same engine and know how to make the environments pretty easy. They already look way better than the first one at this early stage. Basically they have about a half year to add content. Doesn't sound too rushed to me but what do i know?...
I imagine it will just be CoN with different graphics. I doubt there'll be any game-play tweaking at all. It's more a cash-in, with bug fixes to offer the trouble-free gameplay that CoN was supposed to be. Any changes to engine will be for PS3 based CoN.

Shifty Geezer

You're right... more skills please!
Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:18 pm
Attalus

About resistances: I know from Diablo 2 and Record of Lodoss War (sorry to keep bringing them up Laughing but been playing them alot recently with all the delays to PAL CON) they can make a big differences. In D2 certain bosses and spell casters will use different elements and can drain your life really quickly if you havent got a good resist in that element. You have to way up what's most dangerous and build strong resistence there. When your getting hit by meteors and lightning storms from all sides you'll feel any lack of resistances and have to play much more cautiously.

In Lodoss War if your low on certain resistences you can get heavily staggered or knocked over by spell casters. There are lizard man mages that can easily be killed if you get up to them but can form a triangle around you blast with ice holding you in place while one of their bigger warriors comes over to bash you.

I dunno how much magic/elemental resistences play in CON but theres plenty of scope for defensive tactics when you give this sort of power to spell casters and enemies with magic weapons.
Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:50 pm
Darkbackward

Stop comparing this game to bg:da2. I've played da2 and its nothing compared to this game in terms of quality. Sure the bugs may be bad in con but at least the single player is great.

I hope arms will have dlable content so all the crybabies would shutup about bugs.
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:46 pm
Sprach

Many, if not all, of the suggestions posted here are good. Regardless of which ones you chose to implement, please don't suck all the fun out of it, like they did with Hunter: The Reckoning. (I know some people liked that one, but I thought it was terrible).

Some other suggestions:
- being able to knock enemies off ledges (been posted in different thread)
- have different enemies use different AI. Like the thieves in BG:DA - they would try to sneak up on you from behind.
- have so many diverse skills that you need to play it more than once per character to be able to fully explore them all (like Diablo:LOD).
- have a level booster. So that if I have a lvl 20 ranger, my friend and I can start a Courageous game without having to use a cheat.
- better descriptions in the file load/save screen. Perhaps you could include the characters' names?
- I doubt if jumping will come back, but personally I liked that ability and the jumping puzzles weren't that hard.
Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:47 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

It boils down to this. Do you want jumping or an extra spell button? I think you would piss a lot of people off by getting rid of the extra triangle spell button now especially since people are already complaing about there only being two. I love jumping but the extra spell is much more important.

Here is a suggestion to make using more spells less awkward.

The R3 button is pretty worthless other than to center the camera. I don't think most people would even notice it was gone so here's an idea to make the R3 button do more. When you press down the R3 it switches to a second set of spells to use on your triangle and square buttons. Then you can switch back and forth between 4 spells. I have a controller in my hand and i've been kind of simulating it and to my surprise it feels very comfortable. People might complain of getting confused though cause either they pressed it on accident or forgot what spells were on what button. To remedy this maybe have a little small pop up that tells you you've switched and what you've switched to. I think it's probably better just to trust that the player knows what buttons he or she is pressing. Chances are the R3 will be used a lot so unfortunately the pop up i was talking about would be up there constantly and get annoying. I think people would appreciate it and get used to it.

If it really is too much to comprehend then be safe and just make it an optional advanced control scheme or something. I'm not saying free mapping of the buttons and controls but just either basic CON controls or the advanced controls.

Keep the spell wheel with the diagonal buttons for setting these spells. For the second set just bring up the wheel and click on the R3 to place the buttons again. I've noticed that in the first game using the multitap, the wheel sometimes gets in the way of the action. You can limit the use of the wheel greatly by incorporating this control scheme.
Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:28 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

I'm an idiot... i forgot that R3 actually brings up the map. My post is meaningless sorry.
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:29 am
Hollywood_Fred

The game sounds cool, but I am a bit concerned that they are rushing things a bit, and that it may suffer many of the deficiencies of the original as a result. To Snowblind and SOE, I beg of you, take your time and give us a great product... I'd be willing to wait the extra time.

Oh, and please get rid of the sucky weapons/item selection screen, in favor of something that's manageable. One suggestion that I have is to use colors that are more contrasting, like blue for equipped items, red for unequipped. I am slightly color blind, and it has always been difficult for me to distinguish what is equipped and what is not in the first game.

Put me on the list of jumpers. Jumping is a good defensive manuever.
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:20 pm
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

According to new magazine previews all the existing classes will get like 4 new skills to learn. That doesn't sound too bad. As for this sequel just being a cash in. I think that's a bit harsh to say. From reading all of the new features they are putting in the game, cash in is the last word you would think of. The only part i feel a little worried about is the PVP. I hope they don't run out of time trying to make this part of the game great. The new Iksar race sounds fantastic...
Post Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:22 pm
dratkin

Forget Dark Alliance 2. We need a button layout like Dungeons and Dragons Heroes for CON2. The button layout for that game is the best I have ever seen. You can have 4 feats or spells instantly useable with one button push. It Rocks. Come on Snowblind make a button layout that really makes sense for CON2. Do us all a favor and check out DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS HEROES. Best button layout ever on an action/RPG.
Thanks, Danny
Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:49 pm
cardbordboxluvr

reply  Reply with quote  

Hey how about an Ai player that joins you in a game? Kinda like co-op but by yourself!
Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:37 pm
Fizzy

Wishlist  Reply with quote  

If there anyway that all this stuff makes it into RTA its going to be one badass game Very Happy
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:53 am
Mindcircus

quote:
Originally posted by dratkin
Forget Dark Alliance 2. We need a button layout like Dungeons and Dragons Heroes for CON2. The button layout for that game is the best I have ever seen. You can have 4 feats or spells instantly useable with one button push. It Rocks. Come on Snowblind make a button layout that really makes sense for CON2. Do us all a favor and check out DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS HEROES. Best button layout ever on an action/RPG.
Thanks, Danny

I'm curious, how did that control scheme work? Can you break down how they did that? Thanks...
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:13 am
fireicedarklight

Deff we should listen to this kid , he obviusly knows wat hes doing! and it would be smart to add sum things from BG and BGDA2!
Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:18 pm
Thurond

36) Make every weapon and piece of armor you see obtainable. I hated killing goblins and not being able to take their sword or shield. If Snowblind want Return to Arms to be more realistic, they should consider this.

37) Have some spells you can only upgrade by using them. That would add a lot of strategy to the game.

3Cool This might have already been mentioned, but we need more side quests. Aside from the side quest in Act 1 when you had to find Elf Draught for Elgoain, there were virtually no side quests. Adding side quests would really add to the game's replay value.

A champion shall be forever challenged!!!
Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:41 pm