Home
Games News Company Info Jobs Forums
Contact
FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
Iksar Shaman, PVP, and good becomes a little wicked...
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions: Return to Arms General Discussion

Author Thread
Mindcircus

Iksar Shaman, PVP, and good becomes a little wicked...  Reply with quote  

Hey guys, the news is slowly getting around. I first read about this on the Champions forum. The new race is the Iksar Shaman. There will also be PVP which should make everyone happy. Also the most intriguing part is the ability to play as a hero or a villian. You can either help rid of Innoruuk or help put him back together. The locales you go through will vary depending on which side you take. I got this info from people who already have the new OPM with RTA as the cover story. Happy times...happy times!

Thanks to those who are keeping us informed.

Last edited by Mindcircus on Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:41 am; edited 3 times in total
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:38 am
PretzNChz

Heh, I just got the new OPM and was going to post this here, but looks like you beat me to it!

I think that pretty much covers the main points in the OPM article. All of the various planes should make for a good time, leaves lots of room for Snowblind's imagination to run wild. Some of the new enemies sound kinda wicked too, like the samurai that will commit hari kari.

Not quite sure about the PvP aspect yet. I don't know that pure 1 on 1 battles would be that exciting, but some competitive modes like battling through waves of enemies to try and reach a treasure chest first ... that could be entertaining. Team-based combat would be awesome, but I'm not expecting to see that in Return to Arms.

Really like the sound of the medal challenges at the end of each level as well. I loved those types of things in Dark Cloud 2. I also like how one of the developers - Ryan I think? - cited Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando as an action game that successfully blends RPG elements. Considering the Ratchet & Clank series is my favorite 3rd person adventure series to-date, I'm glad to hear that it might serve as a little bit of inspiration Smile

http://www.veterangamers.com
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:08 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

Also read somewhere someone said there's going to be four player PVP as well as changing weather conditions. I wonder if this is just graphic eye candy or if it'll actually make terrain harder to traverse?
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:45 am
Billy

Weather conditions eh? May be eye candy, but damn it's something I'd lke to see now. heh heh.
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:02 pm
PretzNChz

Re: ...  Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by Mindcircus
Also read somewhere someone said there's going to be four player PVP as well as changing weather conditions. I wonder if this is just graphic eye candy or if it'll actually make terrain harder to traverse?

I remember seeing that in the OPM article. My guess is the effects are eye candy. That said, a sweet weather effect can add a lot to the atmosphere of a game.

It would be neat if weather had some impact on gameplay. Rain could weaken fire-based spells and attacks. Deep snow could take longer to move through and slow down melee attacks.

I'll be happy with eye candy, though. Just in case there isn't enough in the game already Wink

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:01 pm
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

Interesting indeed. I hope they fix the depth perception in this game. In the first one i got annoyed when i couldn't hit someone standing in a little puddle about a foot below the ground i was on.
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:43 pm
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

Some other info i got from the Champions board. The Iksar have a skill where they can grow in size. Wow i wonder how huge they get. It's brilliant!
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:13 pm
PretzNChz

quote:
Some other info i got from the Champions board. The Iksar have a skill where they can grow in size. Wow i wonder how huge they get. It's brilliant!

There's a screenshot of the Iksar's growth ability in the OPM article. They show a 1-on-1 PvP shot of an Iksar up against someone else (forget what). It was pretty funny, the Iksar was massive . At least twice their usual size. Can't remember any enemies from CoN offhand to use as reference, though.

Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:34 pm
Attalus

About PVP, I think it's a good idea in theory it's really dependant on how well developed and balanced the characters are.

The choice to choose sides and fight different enemies and see different locales depending on that choice is another good fairly novel idea which will really help replay value.

What can Iksar Shamens normaly do in Everquest?
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:35 pm
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

Oh yeah i totally agree. The PVP will either be the greatest thing ever, or an afterthought. I have faith that SOE and Snowblind will get it right. Whether or not all the characters will be balanced or not is still up in the air. I think we can all suspect that some characters will be better than others. Has there ever been PVP inplemented in a hack and slash game? I don't recall any game ever going this route which is a good sign of innovation. I wonder how it will work and how long each battle will last.
I hope it's a little more than just seeing who gets the most slashes in. In any case it should be fun to play with. I'm picturing a punching match in your underwear. HAHAHAHA brilliant.
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:45 pm
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

Oh and apparently they can summon Badgers too?

To celebrate this... i invite you to watch this to get you in the mood.
lol

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

brilliant...
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:21 pm
Attalus

quote:
Oh yeah i totally agree. The PVP will either be the greatest thing ever, or an afterthought. I have faith that SOE and Snowblind will get it right. Whether or not all the characters will be balanced or not is still up in the air. I think we can all suspect that some characters will be better than others. Has there ever been PVP inplemented in a hack and slash game? I don't recall any game ever going this route which is a good sign of innovation. I wonder how it will work and how long each battle will last.
I hope it's a little more than just seeing who gets the most slashes in. In any case it should be fun to play with. I'm picturing a punching match in your underwear. HAHAHAHA brilliant.

I think Diablo 2 did it but I haven't tried it there so I don't know how it works. I imagine the pathces in that game make it easier to balance the characters so it must work well.
Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:38 am
Arcturus

Would some 1 be kind enough to post some links to this info and the pics too? THX
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:48 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

Well there aren't any pics as of right now. You'd have to wait until either OPM updates their site or go and get the magazine when it hits newstands.
Apparently next months GameInformer will have a similar preview so be on the look out for that also.

As for info here are some links to threads with all the info that is out there.
Enjoy...

http://conforums.station.sony.com/champions/board/message?board.id=champions_general&message.id=18381

http://conforums.station.sony.com/champions/board/message?board.id=champions_general&message.id=18413

http://conforums.station.sony.com/champions/board/message?board.id=champions_general&message.id=18352
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:34 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

I just got the new OPM today and it looks pretty sweet indeed. Well, for $9 it better be sweet... Just a couple of questions regarding the PVP. Hopefully one of the developers can answer this for me but if not that's fine. The article talks about one on one PVP. Does this mean only two players can play the PVP option in the game or can 4 players play free for all if they want? It also talks about specific PVP modes in an online sense which sounds fantastic, but are there going to be any offline specific PVP modes? Thanks in advance.
Post Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:39 am