FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
Couple more suggestions
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions: Return to Arms General Discussion

Author Thread
Shifty Geezer

Couple more suggestions  Reply with quote  

Having not played CoN these might be covered, but if not they would make valuable additions to the gameplay.

In replaying DA1, down the mines you find some excellent opportunities to kill baddies using cleverly placed kegs. eg. Moving them into a cluster and attracting the enemy into them, or in one case, lighting the keg, then timing it just right to hit a spider nearer and then jump out the way. You could also, with the Drow Sorceresses, use them to shoot each other.

Could you please include such extra combat options in RtA? Have environmental factors that can be used to good effect. Have cliff edges/holes/lava that you can knock enemies into, and have spells with knockback effects able to push enemies off an into oblivion. Be able to lure enemies' fire and dodge out they way, so they shoot their own men. Have little secret passages behind groups of enemies where you can gain access to a pack of powder kegs and blow the enemy to kingdon-come before they know you're there. Make areas where unless you have the right spells/feats, just hacking away will spell near-certain doom. How's about a mountain plateau swarming with powerful enemies, where only by blasting them off the edge can you despatch them quickly enough to survive?

Part of the joy for these games has been the tactical combat, which in all honesty has been thin on the ground. I want access to lots of different spells that do different things, and the need to use them. I want to need exploding arrows to knock enemies to their deaths, not just push them around pointlessly a bit. I want acid arrows as essential to kill creatures that are immune to all but acid damage. And I want a need to find the right combat method/power for the battle; not just use the same old techniques over and over again (hack, hack, hack, hack or Lightning ball, Lightning ball, Lightning ball, Lightning ball...)

That would add tremendous variety and gameplay.

Shifty Geezer
Post Sat May 29, 2004 10:03 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

There are powder kegs in CON and you can push them and use them to your advantage if you choose to do so. There aren't many opportunities but they are there. As for the hitting the creatures into holes and off cliffs would be a welcome addition. I was thinking the other day it'd be cool to see the Barb get a skill in the vein of Charge but the difference being that it sends the creatures flying backwards and off cliffs like you mentioned or to slam against the walls.
Post Sat May 29, 2004 10:25 am
Attalus

Re: Couple more suggestions  Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by Shifty Geezer
Having not played CoN these might be covered, but if not they would make valuable additions to the gameplay.

In replaying DA1, down the mines you find some excellent opportunities to kill baddies using cleverly placed kegs. eg. Moving them into a cluster and attracting the enemy into them, or in one case, lighting the keg, then timing it just right to hit a spider nearer and then jump out the way. You could also, with the Drow Sorceresses, use them to shoot each other.

Could you please include such extra combat options in RtA? Have environmental factors that can be used to good effect. Have cliff edges/holes/lava that you can knock enemies into, and have spells with knockback effects able to push enemies off an into oblivion. Be able to lure enemies' fire and dodge out they way, so they shoot their own men. Have little secret passages behind groups of enemies where you can gain access to a pack of powder kegs and blow the enemy to kingdon-come before they know you're there. Make areas where unless you have the right spells/feats, just hacking away will spell near-certain doom. How's about a mountain plateau swarming with powerful enemies, where only by blasting them off the edge can you despatch them quickly enough to survive?

Part of the joy for these games has been the tactical combat, which in all honesty has been thin on the ground. I want access to lots of different spells that do different things, and the need to use them. I want to need exploding arrows to knock enemies to their deaths, not just push them around pointlessly a bit. I want acid arrows as essential to kill creatures that are immune to all but acid damage. And I want a need to find the right combat method/power for the battle; not just use the same old techniques over and over again (hack, hack, hack, hack or Lightning ball, Lightning ball, Lightning ball, Lightning ball...)

That would add tremendous variety and gameplay.

Shifty Geezer

Yeah I think theses are really good points. Without a bit of strategy or depth to the combat these games can get awfully repetitive. Estentially you can go end up just walking along and hitting enemies the same way with no thought in some action RPG's. What sets a good one apart is character developement (lots of varied skills/spells that are balanced in their ability and allow you to attack the enemy with different methods), and smart enemies/bosses that force you to use those abilities and have different strengths and weakness. It's not just about making the enemies hit harder but about making you think rather than just running in or using hit and run tactics. That's the best way to make a game tough but fun to play. It's also good to have a variety of enemies with different abilities rather than having to hit the same old thing in swarms over and over.

One thing I didn't like in the CON demo is the swing animations with 1 handed weapons where they hit left then right whilst stepping forward. I don't feel the impact that well and I hate the way the character walks off as he swings it feels like Im losing control of him and changing target is rather annoying.
Post Sat May 29, 2004 11:23 pm
Shifty Geezer

To back this up, I've been alternating with Archer and Sorcerer in DA1 and the Sorcerer can be quite varied if you deliberately avoid Lightning balls. I've been investing in Fireballs to blow up the powder-kegs when it's most dangerous. Then if an enemy gets close I switch to Burning Hands (level 1) to scorch them a little. This slows them down as they reel in agony, making it easier to position myself behind them to hit them safely. With the Willo-the-Wisps on the mountain, Magic Missiles proved invaluable as I didn't need to be a good shot!

Varied gameplay - More please!!!

Shifty Geezer
Post Sun May 30, 2004 10:29 am