FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
Wow new board...some questions!
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions: Return to Arms General Discussion

Author Thread
Cestode Raffity!

Wow new board...some questions!  Reply with quote  

It seems a little early to be getting excited about Return to Arms - here in the UK Champions of Norrath hasn't even been released yet! Hopefully next week tho...

Anyway, here's some questions to kick things off:

1. Does this mean Snowblind people have taken an interest in this forum again and will answer questions?
2. When is r2A out in the UK?
3. What are the major improvements from CON?
Post Tue May 11, 2004 11:42 am
Nelson1

US release first, how about now. nows good, i wouldnt mind if u releasedf it the US before summer goes out. how about before October, because i wont be able to play it after that
Post Tue May 11, 2004 7:31 pm
Gremlin
Snowblind Studios

We would love to be able to release the game right now, but we have to finish working on it first. Smile

I can't really tell you about too much stuff that you haven't read about in the various press releases: two new playable races, higher levels, the ability to import characters from CON, superior networking, and loads of new monsters and levels.

And Cestode Raffity, yes we are checking these forums everyday.

Gremlin
Post Wed May 12, 2004 1:21 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

I was wondering, are we going to get any more info out of E3 or is that it for the time being? I noticed that there's an interview with Mr. Ben Bell on thursday. Will anything new come out of that?

Also one more thing. Are you still looking into improving and adding features for the game or do you already have a set feature list? I've been wondering about lots of things, especially multiplayer options online and offline. It seems to me that there's a lot of innovative potential for this game or maybe future games of this genre. Do you agree?

Keep up the good work guys, i can't wait for some new info. Smile
Post Wed May 12, 2004 7:36 am
Cestode Raffity!

Thanks Gremlin - can you confirm the release of CON in the UK is 21st May (this year!)?
Post Wed May 12, 2004 3:19 pm
Nelson1

im sorry about the post before its just that i really like CON and well i want another game. sooner the better. but u guys take ur time and make it superfantastic. go you guys!!!!
Post Wed May 12, 2004 7:33 pm
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

The biggest gaming show has gone and past and there's nothing to report on this game. How can this be? Let's get some new info baby, come on!
Post Fri May 14, 2004 5:50 am
Nelson1

that also makes me upset. i thought they were going to release more info at E3
Post Fri May 14, 2004 7:28 pm
Shifty Geezer

quote:
Originally posted by Cestode Raffity!
Thanks Gremlin - can you confirm the release of CON in the UK is 21st May (this year!)?
I think you'll find Snowblind have no say on release dates. It's down to the publishers. Chances are SB are as much in the dark as the rest of us when their software will be released!! Plus, even if they're working on it, they'll have their hands tied on what they can say. Remember Krazikatt mysteriously disappearing off the DA2 forum after that Gold Digging shinanigans...

Shifty Geezer
Post Wed May 19, 2004 1:53 pm
Cestode Raffity!

Thanks Shifty, I'll stop asking then. All the shops are saying June 25th now anyway. Sad
Post Thu May 20, 2004 10:09 am
Attalus

The new Offical PS2 mag has a playable demo though. It hasn't got a 60hz option so the graphics are rough and ropey and it must be playing a bit slower. Hopefully the full game will have this option.

I also noticed that when a chracter speaks their speech is delayed. They start talking well after the text has appeared. This was one of the problems in the American version.
Post Thu May 20, 2004 11:54 am
Shifty Geezer

60 Hz means higher refresh but lower resolutions. 50Hz should result in a smoother (less frame drop) game as there's less pixels to process a second.

Shifty Geezer
Post Thu May 20, 2004 8:01 pm
Attalus

Well the games I've played in 60hz always look clearer and cleaner and when a game has a 60hz option it usually says in the game that this is a clearer display.

I know Euro TV's are supposed to have a better display in 50hz but I've heard this doesn't actually apply to games which were originally developed for 60hz systems so we may be getting the worst of both worlds. There's also the speed loss to think about, witout playing the NTSC version it's hard to say how bad it is but if it's like Tekken Tag (slow motion) then I know it's a big loss. The PS2 of all the 4 128bit consoles is the only 1 that doesn't put 60hz immediately into colour on non NTSC compatible TV's though so scart leads might be needed.
Post Fri May 21, 2004 12:29 am
Shifty Geezer

quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
I know Euro TV's are supposed to have a better display in 50hz but I've heard this doesn't actually apply to games which were originally developed for 60hz systems so we may be getting the worst of both worlds. There's also the speed loss to think about, witout playing the NTSC version it's hard to say how bad it is but if it's like Tekken Tag (slow motion) then I know it's a big loss. The PS2 of all the 4 128bit consoles is the only 1 that doesn't put 60hz immediately into colour on non NTSC compatible TV's though so scart leads might be needed.

I think pretty much all TVs these days are built on the same hardware regardless of format, and they just throw in a different tuner/clock for NTSC or PAL. eg. My old 14" Sont Trinitron can switch between PAL and NTSC. It would be uneconomical to do otherwise. The only time I've known 60Hz make a pronounced speed difference was with Star Control on the Amiga. Haven't seen different consoles in different frequencies so I guess it doesn't bother me. For games like DA and CoN I'd rather have a higher resolution.

Shifty Geezer
Post Sun May 23, 2004 11:31 am
Attalus

I've heard from people that know alot about these things that games (since they were produced soley for 60hz NTSC display) do not appear with a better display on 50hz TV's. As I understand it a 50hz TV displays more lines than a 60hz one but this doesn't carry over to games since those extra lines are lost hence the borders at the top and bottom of the screen (fewer lines so the display doesn't fill the screen of a 50hz TV). What this actually does is make the picture worse than 60hz since the screen is squashed and it looks rougher. The PS2 does 60hz slightly differently to the DC, GC and Xbox as they all do Pal 60hz whilst the PS2 only does NTSC mode.

Im sure that most 50hz games do not play at the same speed as they originally did in 60hz. I know people who import and have imported in the past and there is often a noticeble difference. Play a game like Onimusha 2 or Virtua Fighter 4 in 50hz for an hour then switch to 60hz and it's clear theres a huge difference. Tekken Tag is easy to see, if you ever played it at the arcade or the JP/US PS2 version. The Pal version is just a traversty (slow motion).
Post Sun May 23, 2004 7:40 pm