FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
Snowblind Critique
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions of Norrath General Discussion

Author Thread
galtwish

Play impressions  Reply with quote  

Some of this will be redundent, but I believe that it what as know as "market data" in some circles.

1) Backgrounds are great. For static animations, you did a very nice job. In the Sea of Grass, both my wife (who really hates this type of game) and I went "Ooooh" when a vulture flew by for the first time. That said, the static backgrounds made some key features (the stairway up to the portal on that level, frex) hard to see. Thank goodness for the left analog stick.

2) Character balance is poor. Why would anyone play the Cleric, except to be completist? I just don't see a reason to make the game not just hard but boring. Multiplayer should be about tactics and teamwork, not just some guy being able to double as a poor fighter and healing tonic substitue. A rogue class would be much appreciated, and traps would be cool as well.

3) Combat: ditto on the complaints over BG: DA. I haven't played DA II, but the point behind attack patterns should be a big finish, or putting an opponent in stun/shield lock. My barbarian uses 2 1h weapons because I can dish out more damage that way (thank you Icy Fire w/Mummy Tongue!), but I was using a twin axe w/Misty Globe before and I really didn't see a functional difference between a fast 1h weapon and a fast 2h weapon. Obviously, I will reserve judgement until I get a stong Shield Bash rating, but that will take another 20 levels or so. The initial impression is that h-to-h is purely dominated by the ability to dish out damage. My armor level varies between 320 and 250, but I still get hit by opponents all the time, so I go with the lower rating (as those items have health bonuses). It may not be true, but armor never seems to be up to the level of the opponents. I can see a shield for blocking being an improvement, but that just meant I got swarmed while playing a SK. CoN 2 should address the different combat styles and, well, differentiate them. Critical hits just mean that the guy does more damage--he actually isn't doing anything different. I think this is one of the biggest areas of improvement: as it is CoN is actually a little worse than BG: DA.

4) Size of the environments. Some people have said that they felt there was a lot of empty space to backtrack through, but I didn't have a real problem. It was aggrivating, but not overly so. After all, i was the dumbass who didn't look hard enough the first time. I may be in the minority, but I like feeling that there is space, rather than just a lot of monsters crammed into a shooting gallery.

5)Removability of socketed bits. I was conflicted over this, wanted to be able to remove stuff and implant it in newer items at first. Now I see that the desire to get new trinkets for my equipment is a pretty large part of the replayability desire.

6) Load, save, and technical issues. The game has frozen on me 2 or 3 times in about 24 hours of play time. Incredibly frustrating. Use 2 discs if necessary. replace the "save over last save" preset to "save in a new slot" or "save overwriting the game that this was loaded from". Invoking drunken rages at 2 in the morning is not what most console owners are looking for in their games. The "white out" aspects (I believe this is called aliasing or flicker) of fields when you enter a new area or turn in a detailed area aren't too bad--better than GTA III or Vice City, but that may just be my machine. I haven't had any probelms w/Quake III or Unreal Tourney doing this on my PS2.

7) keep the arrows. If you are going to wuss out and arch all day, you should have to lug around a load of arrows. The "realism" arguement is stupid--who can carry 300 lbs and chop heads, much less 150 lbs? It should just be an issue of balance, that the shooter can't also be the looter.

8). More missle-firing oppnents. If every other opponent is just going to have fire/poison/disease/etc. as their special ability, and the ranged opponents are going to use magic, why bother with armor (again)? If we can get our resistances up, we ignore their special powers, more or less. That, and missle fire from the PCs is already overwhelming the abilities of the bad guys. Give them tower shields or something.

All in all, thanks for a cool game. This one will keep me busy for at least 3 characters all the way through on the 3 difficulty levels (SK, wizard, and a barbarian that I save for the times that I don't feel like working too hard). I'll definately be looking for CoN II, especially if we can port characters over to it.
Post Mon May 03, 2004 10:07 pm
Gremlin
Snowblind Studios

Thanks for the feedback. I just want to let everyone know that we are still listening to you comments.

Gremlin
Post Tue May 04, 2004 5:30 pm
Attalus

I hope us Euro players can still have a chance to contribute something to CON 2 when our version finally gets released (when Ubisoft actually remebers it's the Pal version's publisher Rolling Eyes ) especially those who've played alot of action RPG's over the years and have got plenty to contribute (EG me Smile )

Another thing is if the Pal version does address certain problems reported in the NTSC version such as bugs, imbalanced skills and poor armour system then we will actually be able to comment on a more updated version of the game where some new ideas may already have been implemented.
Post Tue May 04, 2004 7:28 pm
Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin
Thanks for the feedback. I just want to let everyone know that we are still listening to you comments.

Gremlin

/**Cough**...**Cough***

excuse me.......Mr Gremlin sir,

could you give us some idea of if you are changing things for the PAL release and what things you are changing?

please please please.

us in the IK have been watching the release date move further away with no explanation why. just a smidge of info to let us know the waiting will be worth it.
Sad Sad why is it taking so long??? Sad Sad
Post Wed May 05, 2004 10:21 am