Contact
FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
Hello!
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions of Norrath General Discussion

Author Thread
Attalus

There were some things I really hated about DA2 and Im hoping CON can improve on those.

DA2 had poor enemy design in alot of places and little variety in the enemy types. Typically you would go through a series of dungeons facing ONLY 2 different enemy types neither of which would require any particular strategy since they were so easy to beat. The dungeons were mostly very constrained and linear like a bunch of narrow corridors. Both of these things made the game feel REALLY repetitive. Is CON better in these areas?

One thing that bothers me about CON when looking at guides is that the characters seem to gain access to alot of their feats at later levels. Im assuming they must all play quite similar for most of the first play through. That would mean that every time I started with a new chracter there gonna feel no different to the last one utill I've taken them through the whole game at least once. Are the chracters really like that?
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:03 pm
skuld

Not true. The skill system is almost identical to that of Diablo, so in order to get the higher level abilities you need to get the lower level ones first. Makes sense. And the amount of abilities that are shared between classes are minimal. Also unlike the BG:DA games there are only 4 stats: Str, Sta, Dex, Int and you get a certain number of points to distribute between them at the start of game(i think it's 25), and then an additional 3 per level. So 85 points distributed the way you chose makes for a very individual character after 20 levels. And trust me, you'll see distinct pros and cons between each class as you play them. And about the monotony of enemies it's slightly less than BG:DA. For each section most of the enemies are gonna be of the same type(goblins/skeletons/dark elves) but there will be melee fighters, ranged weapon users, magic users(who like to raise the dead) so it's not so bad. I like it much better than BG:DA, but I jsut started BG:DA2 last night. And it's better than the first one, but not as good as CoN. CoN just looks better too.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:59 pm
Attalus

If you team up a high level SK and cleric can they both use convert enemy and their summon spells to create a huge team (around 14 helpers)?

If you've just started to play DA2 you'll start to hate it once you get to the bloodmire manor, that's when things take a turn for the worst.
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:27 am
Cestode Raffity!

Thanks everyone this is really helpful. Nobody wants to be the cleric, I'm not surprised, they are sooooo boring! My mate is playing the cleric on co-op on baldurs gate: DA2 and he's wishing he'd been the necromancer again.
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:01 am
Cestode Raffity!

Can anyone tell me how the feat/spell selection is done in CON? Can you have multiple feats on shortcut keys like BG:DA2? Or can you only have one selected feat like BG:DA1?

I found the trouble with this is that you tend to use the same feat all the time, because of the time it takes to change it.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:59 am
Billy

quote:
Originally posted by Cestode Raffity!
Can anyone tell me how the feat/spell selection is done in CON? Can you have multiple feats on shortcut keys like BG:DA2? Or can you only have one selected feat like BG:DA1?

I found the trouble with this is that you tend to use the same feat all the time, because of the time it takes to change it.

You get 2 quick spell buttons. Triangle and Circle.
And you can easy set up each button by moving the control pad in a direction and pressing Triangle or Circle to set the designated skill.
It's neat, but not as good as the shift feature in DA2.
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:58 am
Cestode Raffity!

Thanks Billy. Are you in the States? Thought you said somewhere you were in the UK like me, could be wrong tho.
Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:50 am
Billy

quote:
Thanks Billy. Are you in the States? Thought you said somewhere you were in the UK like me, could be wrong tho.

I live in Peterborough, Ontario Canada. You may thought I lived in UK because there is a Peterborough there too.
Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:05 pm
Fizzy

quote:
I'm gonna be the shadow-knight I think, what is the skeleton summoning like? Is it identical to what the necro can do in BG:DA2?

Also how tough is the SK in melee?

Im on my second time playing thru CON now and the first time i tryed a SK and i hated it. You have to wait until your lvl 16 to raise a skeleton instead of lvl 1 which i think is the lvl for the necro in BG DA2. The skeletons are so slow that by the time he gets to ur side ur done killin the guys. The only reason hes good is that he distratces the bosses. The Harms Touch spell which you wait so long for is a real let down by the time u get it its pretty much useless. SKs only good speel is deises sheild on a high lvl.
Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:47 pm
choge
Snowblind Studios

We're working to improve the summoned skeleton a bit, including its pathing and speed. The aim is to get him to be more useful, instead of always showing up late for the party.
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:03 pm
Shifty Geezer

Good oh! In DA2, Murray (the name of my skeleton) was an awesome asset. He was a slow and daft, and would often pop-in to view when left behind. Using Summon Murray, Shield and Haste to improve his power, and Slow and Enfeeble the enemy, meant a comfortable victory. Because of this the Necromancer was the most powerful character, rarely taking hits; never needing potions. It'd be nice to have the chance to overwhelm the enemy sometimes with a mob of your own.

The DA2 Cleric played nice and differently using buffs. In Normal mode (Hard or Extreme rendered AC next to useless) it was easy to use protective buffs to make you hard to hit/hurt, add poison resistance, and Bless was very powerful with a high-quality weapon. I found the Cleric a more interesting Melee character than boring old Barbarians.

Shifty Geezer
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:22 pm