FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
Hello!
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions of Norrath General Discussion

Author Thread
Cestode Raffity!

Hello!  Reply with quote  

I've been a big fan of the two Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games on PS2, and have been reading about CON. I'm in the UK and it's not out here until the end of April Sad

Anyway I'm really looking forward to it, the 4 player options sounds excellent - can anyone tell me, is it as good as BG:DA? Does the 4 player mode work well? I notice a few threads on here about bugs and glitches, are they being fixed for the UK release?

Also I read a review the other day (7/10, same as they gave BG:DA2) and it mentioned there are 10 classes, but only told me what 5 of them were! DOH! It mentioned warrior, wizard, cleric, ranger and shadow-knight - what are the rest please? Also how many options do you get when designing your character?

Thanks!
Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:48 am
Billy

Hey, whats up Cestode Raffity! (hope you know who this is).
Anyways. There are 5 classes and you get to pick if they are male or female. So, that just about equals 10 characters.

There isn't a huge amount of options when customizing the character... but what is in the game is great. You can really make some cool looking dudes. heh.
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:18 am
Cestode Raffity!

Hey Billy - thought you might be involved here! So is CON any good? Better than BG:DA? Some people on here seem to be moaning about bugs - how bad is it? And have they been fixed for the UK release?
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:48 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

The Bugs are definately something that stay in the back of your head while playing. You'll want to save more often than not just cause you don't know when the game will black out on you. Be nice to the game and it'll be nice back. Anyway if you loved DA1 then you'll dive right into CON. CON is a lot better in my opinion for many reasons.

1. longer game
2. lots of customization of characters
3. more types of characters to choose from
4. check points
5. 50x more items
6. weapon and armor customization via gems in slots
7. slightly better graphics
8. archery is better and more fun
9. difficulty levels and shops that change with each difficulty
10. online play
11. more character motions (like sword swinging, etc)
12. replay value replay value replay value
13. better control mapping, two spell buttons compared to one with DA
14. easier spell or feat selection
15. better menu layout

negatives:

1. no secret characters
2. no PVP
3. quirky game design in some place (you'll understand after you play)
4. slight slowdown in some places
5. freeze ups
6. longer and more load times
7. no zombies
8. longer screen transitions
9. too easy with multiplayer
10. slightly unbalanced characters (barbarians become unstoppable)
11. no obstacles like in DA and no jumping although it's not needed here

Although i did list a bunch of negatives... most of them are nitpicking. It's a fantastic game and should give you months of fun with friends especially or by yourself. It'll leave you drooling for CON2 which is rumored to be in development. Have fun!

Hope this helps...
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:48 am
Cestode Raffity!

Thanks Mindcircus, that's answered a lot of my questions. Just got to sit fast now until it comes out! Damn UK release dates!

I'm sick of zombies, and the bonus characters in BG:DA 1 & 2 are rubbish anyway, so no loss there.

We're planing to play a 3 player game and (how sad is this - a month to go and we've already picked our characters!) - a ranger, a wizard, and a shadow-knight - on the hardest difficulty available. Can you forsee any problems with this choice?
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:30 pm
skuld

I dunno how multiplayer works, but in single player you need to unlock difficulties above the easiest before playing(you have to beat the difficulty level before before proceding). One thing I can definately say about CoN vs BG:DA(only played first one though) is that it's ten times harder. Most of BG:DA was a cakewalk on easy, but CoN is tough(even on the easiest difficulty setting, which I'm playing now), especially bosses. Another thing is that the leveling/stat/skill system is a mirror image of Diablo's and is nothing like the 3E D&D system of BG:DA. I didn't like it in the beginning(because I've scarcely played anything but BG when it came to PC games), but it's growing on me. There are a few game stopping glitches, but if you save as frequently as you should it won't be a problem. Also because of the two spell buttons you cannot jump. If you're looking for a good hacking challenge it's a damn good game. One more thing. In my opinion at least the classes are a little unbalanced in certain aspects.

About your character selections: Shadow Nights are in my opinion the best and most versatile characters, I'm not a fan of the bulk of special abilities being specialty arrows so even though I'm a fan of rangers I quit that game for a Cleric(challenging because of weapon restrictions but good none the less), and I haven't played much of a wizard but he/she should be just fine in a party of 3.
Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:44 am
Cestode Raffity!

Thanks Skuld, sounds really good. Are the weapons similar to baldurs gate (ie flaming, ice, electricity, acid etc)? Any funky new ones? Also what are the spell effects like, explosive or boring?

BG:DA2 is even easier than the first one by the way, even on Hard. Only when you get to extreme do you get anything resembling a challenge, and then only when you bring in fresh characters. Trouble is - with no random levels - you've seen everything in the game by then!
Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:54 pm
skuld

Well the weapons and armour works differently in CoN than in BG:DA. 1st of all in CoN, the shops change slightly each visit. This is a good and a bad thing. Good thing because it gives you a variety of stuff to choose from, but bad because early on in the game you'll find that the items you've found through random drops are usually a lot better than those in the shops. For instance I'm playing a High Elf Cleric right now, I've jsut finished act III(of V) and I'm on maybe my 3rd or 4th weapon. Armour is a little different. Every so often a shop will have some gear that's worth buying. As to how the types of weapons and armour differ in CoN, there are conditions(i guess you could call it that) such as ruined, cracked, charred, worn, battle worn, polished, masterwork, forged; all of which mean something a little different. But to answer your questiong the enchantments are Poison, Fire, Cold, and Shock. To find weapons with such modifiers is rare but there are add-ons like in diablo that can give weapons and armour different attributes. Oh, and I don't think you'll have trouble finding CoN challenging. Without my Hammer of Wrath most of the bosses would probably be impossible.
Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:01 pm
skuld

One more problem, that may or may not be a problem for you. There are three difficulty levels Adventurous(easiest), Courageous, and Champion(hardest). You mentioned wanting to play on the hardest difficulty level, so in order to do that you'd have to run through the game twice previously to "unlock" both the Courageous and Champion levels. This could get a little redundant, being as the game doesn't change between difficulty levels. The baddies can just take a lot more and dish it out just as good. I'd be content with just trying a new character each runthrough on Adventurous. But in my opinion starting a fresh character on adventurous is a lot harder than taking a level twentysomething character through Courageous. Just a thought.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:05 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

Sure playing through a few times can get redundant but you'll want to try and get to the higher levels just to see how your character is when totally maxed. Plus i forgot to mention the random dungeons so even though it is the same story... you won't be able to memorize dungeons.

The graphics aren't that flashy to be honest with you. There aren't spells that take up the whole screen and blows everything up. The closest to that would be the wizards fire storm ability. Like i said before... it's only a slight improvment over DA surprisingly. Most of the better graphics are in the characters and their movements like being knocked down or swinging their weapons in a sequence compared to the constant chopping in DA.

Finally 3 players is really fun. You'll be telling your friends to come over every weekend to start it back up again. What's even better is they'll want to. I am playing with 2 of my friends and we are on the hardest difficulty at level 42 and we are all striving to get to that level 50.

The most disappointing aspect of this game is how quirky it is. Just some things you'll come across during the game that'll make you wonder what the developers were thinking.

For example:

-barrels that you can break but you can't reach
-one area in the game where you can see it but you can never get to
-sometimes not being able to pick stuff up off the ground for some reason
-gate scrolls bother me sometimes. Sometimes you just don't need to gate back so when you use it again later... it'll warp you back to some place you were 2 hours ago. This is especially troublesome in Vanerhost's castle.
-getting stuck on ledges

The playtesters really missed the boat when it came to this game. Good thing it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

there's more but those are the ones that come to mind.
Enjoy when it comes out... it'll be worth the investment.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:53 am
Cestode Raffity!

Thanks Skuld, ah well we'll just have to play on whatever difficulty is available to us. I'm judging it by the benchmark of the ridiculously easy BG:DA, which I probaly shouldn't.

Baldurs has a similar 'weapon quality' system so will be used to that.

Aren't some of the levels random maps so they will be different each time you play?
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:38 am
skuld

There are random dungeons, but they're not all that random. What they really should've done is not made the game over until you beat Champion difficulty, which would require making the game three times as long. But if you added sidequests and added more RPG elements then it wouldn't be too difficult. And to answer your question I think they just might be a little different at different difficulties.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:30 pm
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

Let's run down the very few differences shall we?

-Enemies are harder and wizards dish out beefier spells.
-Bosses get more HP but nothing else.
-Item drops, including gems, become geared towards what level your character is.
-Shops sell things according to your level.

Those are the only differences.

Two things make you come back for more.

-Must... find... more... items!!!
-Must see level 20 stuff!!!
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:35 pm
Cestode Raffity!

I'm gonna be the shadow-knight I think, what is the skeleton summoning like? Is it identical to what the necro can do in BG:DA2?

Also how tough is the SK in melee?
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:06 pm
skuld

SK is in my opinion the most versatile class. They can use any weapon/armour(aside from class specific ones of course), and they're good enough in melee. The skeleton is key, especially for bosses. You summon one and there's a certain percentage of a chance he'll have an enchanted weapon. And as the skill gets higher in level your skeleton gets higher in level and there's a greater chance of him getting an anchanted weapon. And he's around forever unless he's killed of course. Gotta run to class, hope that helps.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:59 pm