FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
Item Dupe is inevitable....
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions of Norrath Technical Issues

Author Thread
G-Rod

Item Dupe is inevitable....  Reply with quote  

I see lots of people PO'ed about the ability to item dupe. But I see no way to prevent it without losing the very very valuable option to import characters. And I think you would have a lot more people making a fuss about no imports than duping. All it would do is ruin it for people who sincerly just wanted to import their character.

So which would you rather go without, item duping or character importing?
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:27 pm
Billy

I always say its up to the player to decide if they are going to abuse the importing/exporting system.
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:56 pm
PretzNChz

From where I stand there's nothing wrong with the import system. There's no economy in an online game like Champions of Norrath, so I don't see how item duping really has an impact. Sure, it may irk you to see a level one character with tons of awesome equipment, but it doesn't hurt you at all. Duping in Champions of Norrath won't throw off an entire game-based economy like in other online games.

I really like the import system. It is an easy way for me to take any of my characters and use them to join up with friends, online or offline. Would it be easier to manage if characters were saved in an independent character file? I think so. Is there room for improvement with the current system (primarily the ability to name game saves)? Of course. The system is still functional as it is today, though. I don't dupe items myself, nor do I play with anyone who does; the import system is a major benefit for me.

To be honest - and I've said this before - I find it interesting that the import system in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was so well-received, but that exact same system now in Champions of Norrath has been criticized. Is it just because of online capabilities?

- Ender Wiggin, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

http://www.veterangamers.com
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:19 pm
Hydrafiend

quote:
I see lots of people PO'ed about the ability to item dupe. But I see no way to prevent it without losing the very very valuable option to import characters.

What they should have done is make the game like Diablo and let people play single player in their house, but have to make another character for multiplayer. Actually in Diablo II you could import a single player character into multi, however you had to play on a different server and your armor didnt show up in the chat window. This way people could use whatever cheating, duping methods you wanted in single player but it didnt effect the muldtiplayer environment. Diablo II also allowed you to just go in and start a single player game and people could join in progress, not an option with CoN, so I just never played single player. I would much rather have a legitimate multiplayer environment to play in than be able to import a single player character.

quote:
There's no economy in an online game like Champions of Norrath, so I don't see how item duping really has an impact. Sure, it may irk you to see a level one character with tons of awesome equipment, but it doesn't hurt you at all.

Economy is not the only way that cheating effects the game. Although the fact that there is no trade system is one of ways in which CoN falls far short of Diablo II. The problem with cheating is it hurts the integirity of the game. For example, when someone is able to start out the game with uber weopons and armor the game is much easier for them and they can level and gain status faster. The level restrictions on items help a little with this, but ultimately the goal is to have a multiplayer system where it is hard to level up and become powerful and gain great gear, so that people who do so are respected.

Cheating hurts all online games period.
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:31 pm
G-Rod

"To be honest - and I've said this before - I find it interesting that the import system in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was so well-received, but that exact same system now in Champions of Norrath has been criticized. Is it just because of online capabilities?"

I agree. There is no doubt in my mind that this game is recieving extremely harsh undeserved critisizm just because of "bug issue" stir that has been going about. I have even noticed people mistaking completely intentional happenings as bugs. An example is the cave which the floor collapses and forces you to battle a barrage of undead foes. This was mistaken as some sort of glitch in the game!

And somehow this has caused people to take minor issues and blow them completely out of proportion. Since they now have seen everyone else complain about a few lockups they have decided that they don't like other things they used to be fine with.

For one, people are complaining that there are too few character classes and that the choices now do not have any they like. I mean come on, you may get the occasional freeze but there are plenty of characters. five classes with male and female options makes a total of ten character models each with there own unique armor models, that by itself is huge. Plus customizable hair, hair color, and skin tone. There not many(if any at all) that an top that.

Other examples would be the import system as you mentioned, jump, 1 or 2 seconds to load environment textures upon start-up, and even that the game is one disc instead of two(thats my fav).

Don't get me wrong, you definatley can find valid complaints and just honestly not like the game in general. But some people have just jumped on the bangwagon with people who not only have complaints but feel the need to remind us everyday, over and over.
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:10 pm
PretzNChz

quote:
Originally posted by Hydrafiend
The problem with cheating is it hurts the integirity of the game. For example, when someone is able to start out the game with uber weopons and armor the game is much easier for them and they can level and gain status faster. The level restrictions on items help a little with this, but ultimately the goal is to have a multiplayer system where it is hard to level up and become powerful and gain great gear, so that people who do so are respected.

If someone else in Champions of Norrath has all sorts of awesome gear on their new character, and I never play with them, how does that impact my online experience? It doesn't. Why should I know or care if someone else is leveling faster than me? If they want to blow through the game as fast as possible, more power to them. I'll enjoy my time working through the game by myself and with friends.

You feel that online gaming should involve hard leveling and rare items that earn "respect." Champions of Norrath was not designed with that view of online gaming. The goal, as best I can tell, was to simulate a virtual livingroom. You have the ability to work through the offline game via the Internet with other people.

I enjoy the fast leveling pace of Champions of Norrath. I only have a half hour or hour of gaming on a normal night, two if I cut out some sleep. I want games where I can make progress in that time, that don't require lots of competition with other players.

I do agree that some of the recently surfaced cheats are detrimental to online play, but only to those who join random games. None of these cheats will affect me, nor will those who decide to exploit some of the game features.

Should those who join random games be penalized? Of course not. As it stands, if you meet up with some quality players online, I'd recommend you get their email addresses and contact them outside of the game to arrange future play sessions. Far from ideal, but I do believe the situation is workable.

- Ender Wiggin, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

http://www.veterangamers.com
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:41 pm
Karn

Beleive me, I love this game, and it isn't a huge deal, but it gets REALLY frustrating with the import system. I think it woulda been best if there were individual character files, and you could load whichever one you wanted when you played, not having to go to a specific level. Also in online play, I think it is an excellent idea to be able to get help if your stuck in a level offline, but it would be so much more fun if you could choose levels to play as a group or something.
~Zidd- Wood Elf lvl 26~
Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:46 am
Enomolee77

Hey, whats wrong with me earning a full set of True armor with one character who is NOT wearing it and handing it off to another character i LEGITIMATLY leveled and allowing him/her to benifit from my time spent treasure hunting? Nothing... thats what I think.

-Less Than Jake
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:09 am