FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
I need your opinion.
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > BG: Dark Alliance General Discussion

Author Thread
Mindcircus

I need your opinion.  Reply with quote  

So what should i get first? Should i get BG: DA or DA2? Are there difficulty levels in DA like CON?
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:07 am
paragonbelial

It depends on how much you want to spend. Overall, neither is better than CoN. DA2 is better than DA1 in almost all respects but not radically so and the original is only $20 on the PS2 and I believe the Xbox as well (not sure about gamecube) while DA2 is $50 and will be going at that rate for awhile. Both Dark Alliance games have 'easy', 'normal', and 'hard' "difficulties" but they're all quite easy (probably too easy). Only the unlockable "extreme mode" poses any reasonable challenge. Both games are lots easier than CoN. I'll note that while CoN blows DA2 out of the water pretty decisively overall, DA2 did do a couple of notable things better than CoN: the control scheme is better (L1 'shift' button allows quick-n-easy access to 5 feats while CoN's d-pad 'spellbook' is clumsy and inefficient), item creation is much more in-depth and rewarding, spells are better thought out in terms of variety and use, character-specific sidequests were a nice added bonus, and there are no annoying or show-stopping bugs.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:59 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

CON is the first game of this kind that i've played and my friends and i love it. Just want to know what we should go with next. Thanks for the reply.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:26 am
tokerblue

BG:DA2 also has excellent Dual Wield mechanics. On button press equals two simultaneous attacks. It's a true Dual Wield vs. CoN's version.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:52 pm
btutterrow

I have seen BG:DA2 on sale for $40 at some stores.

I can't say I was a big fan of BG:DA2. It was worth a rental, but I wouldn't buy it for more than $20...
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:45 pm
PretzNChz

For $20 you really can't go wrong with Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. I'm now playing through the sequel, and I'm just not finding it as entertaining as Champions of Norrath, and it doesn't seem to be as entertaining as I remember the original being. That said, nostalgia does funky things to your memories, and I haven't actually gone back to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance latey to see how it holds up today.

If you like Champions of Norrath, I think you'll certainly get your $20 worth from the original Baldur's Gate; Dark Alliance. If you still crave more after that, check out Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2.

http://www.veterangamers.com
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:47 pm
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

How is the graphic upgrade in 2 vs 1? If you didn't know DA came out a couple of years before 2, could you tell which one was newer? Thanks for all the feedback by the way.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:33 am
btutterrow

IMO, BGDA2 looks worse than BGDA1. The character models are especially bad, and some of the environments look cheaply drawn.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:56 am
Mindcircus

...  Reply with quote  

Ok last set of questions guys. Is there a noticeable improvement graphics wise from DA1 to CON? I downloaded some videos of DA1 and honestly it looks very similar if not exactly the same. Also does the jumping in DA1 really add anything to the overall gameplay? I didn't seem to think it was needed in CON at all. Lastly... is DA just as linear as CON was? Are there more side quests to do cause i hear DA2 has some interesting ones. Thanks for the time.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:34 am
paragonbelial

Graphics: There's not much difference from the original DA to the sequel graphics-wise. While they made some minor technical improvements to the engine, the art direction on Dark Alliance 2 is, in most areas, inferior to the original and so while monsters and areas look just as good if not a little better than before photographically they suffer stylistically (except in the case of Bloodmire's Laboratory area). Nu-Black Isle just doesn't have the technical or aesthetic talent that Snowblind obviously does.

Dualwield: I liked how it was handled in the original Dark Alliance with Drizzt's character. Hammering on the 'x' button to dish out those fast combos while dodging incomers was really fun and rewarding in a simian sort of way. Champions' dualwield was unbalanced (not enough damage-to-speed ratio) while Dark Alliance 2 lacked the visceral button-mash appeal (felt unnatural and stupid, like punching a guy with both fists at the same time in jagged rhythm).
Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:49 am