Another exploit
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions of Norrath Technical Issues

Author Thread
makoshark

Another exploit  Reply with quote  

Lets see how long it takes for Snowblind to delete this thread:
SNOWBLIND, PLEASE FIX THIS GAME!

From GameFaqs (I tried it and it works, too)

after getting to lvl 43 with my wizard legitly i wanted to see if the rumors were true...that you could indeed kill a higher lvl monster with a lvl one person. this test was done on champion difficulty at the cloud giant king... heres how i did it:
-go to town buy a bunch of the fire potions with my wizard...drop where u fight the king.
-spawn king...use my fire storm repeatedly until there is a sliver of life left.
-import a freshly made lvl 1 character with 0 xp
-pick up potions with new char and equip
-throw and dodge lightning attack
-when king is dead....
PRESS SELECT YOU HAVE LEVELED UP!!
-DING...ur now a lvl 50...grats

after putting in all the hard work to get to lvl 43 ..beating the game on all difficulties find this totally ridiculous, for the "powerlvled" character to be higher than my main..what a joke..oh well at least i can do some farming i guess.

i know i have read posts where people went to lvl 36 and such but this is the highest ive witnessed...1 to 50 in under a minute

CoN = QA courtesy of Alan Greenspan
Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:16 am
makoshark

this post was already deleted at sony......
Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:30 am
Krilik

If everyone is willing to re-buy the game then I think maybe they'll fix that bug. But since you are the only one who is willing to do that then I don't think they care.

I myself do not see that as a serious bug since I wouldn't want to do that to level up my guy.
Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:17 am
PretzNChz

I'm not quite sure I understand the seriousness of this. If someone wants to take a character instantly from level 1 to level 50, so be it. The point of the game isn't to power to level 50, but to play through the game from start to finish. By taking a level 1 character straight to level 50 through these means, I fail to see what you are accomplishing, or what impact that really has on anyone else.

Granted, it does seem to be a bug that a level 1 will go straight to level 50 by killing this boss, while a mid-level character certainly won't level up that much.

This doesn't make the game any less fun for people who play through the game legitimately. It just gives people who want instant gratification the ability to jump straight to 50. If you do that and decide there's nothing left to do in the game, I think you might be missing the whole purpose of playing Champions of Norrath!

That's just my take on this one, though Cool

http://www.veterangamers.com
Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:45 am
btutterrow

In BG:DA1 and 2 you could use a code to warp to the last level, turn on invincibility and level up like mad with no chance of dying... what's the difference? No one complained about those cheat codes, and those seemed easier to enter than this exploit...

Cheaters are only ruining the game for themselves. I think too many people view cooperative games like a competition. Look what I did! See what I got! When I play online, I play with my friends who don't cheat and want to work together. I don't understand why people keep treating this game like a MMORPG...
Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:00 am
makoshark

Pretz, first I have to say I respect your posts here, Snowblind picked a solid mod for this board. However, that exploit will RUIN the online (public) experience. I dont play enough, and dont care enough quite frankly to do it myself. I dig leveling my chars up the old fashioned way. I also dont think that very many of the bugs that we all know exist, truly have dampened my experience with the game. But, I DONT appreciate the way Snowblind and now SOE have just acted so dumb about the defects (some more serious) that do exist.
This is an actual post from the CoN support forum from the head MODERATOR!!!:

"Once the voice starts, is it in sync with the character's movemets? or several seconds behind?

Or does the whole animation/speaking part happen together, just a while after you see the text?"

xxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sony Online Entertainment
www.ChampionsofNorrath.com

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Like the head moderator of the board has NEVER played the game and NEVER had the sound lag??? The average age of today's gamer is 29, that should speak volumes, yet this community is being treated like a bunch of children. I know you have a "job" to do, Pretz but at least consider the demographic of this community.
Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:00 am
PretzNChz

I'm still not convinced that this exploit (which is more a side effect of the import system) will really hurt the online experience. How many people, once using that level 50 cheat, are really going to spend much time with their maxxed-out character online? Maybe for awhile to stir things up, but I can't imagine it would hold much appeal. There's really nothing left to do in the game at that point. If you host your own game, you can always boot those who are outside the level range you are looking for.

Now if everyone in public games online is running around with level 50 characters soon, then I'll stand corrected that it may be a bigger problem than I envisioned.

The level issue does bring up a feature that I would like to see in Snowblind's next online game: level limits on rooms. It'd be nice to make a room and only allow characters of a certain level to join up in it. That'd eliminate any concern with people cheating like this, as you could guarentee only people in the 10-20 range could even join your game, for example.

Concerning moderators on the Sony Online Entertainment board, I cannot speak for them. If you have questions or concerns with activity over there, you'll need to bring it up with SOE.

http://www.veterangamers.com
Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:23 am
Dr. Anonymous

I can't say that is a glitch either. As someone else already mentioned, BG:DA1/2 has the same 'issue.' Its just a natural consequence of how the game operates. If you really think its cool to be lvl50 instantly, then yea haw! Go for it. Others enjoy grueling their way up. Yea haw too!

Dr. A>
Post Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:53 pm