FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
The MIC readme thread.
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions of Norrath Technical Issues

Author Thread
Tyveil

The MIC readme thread.  Reply with quote  

I just thought it would be useful to have a thread that details how people need to adjust their mics to play this game. Primarily because the default settings often DO need to be adjusted (or the placement of the mic). If you have trouble hearing other people, or they have trouble hearing you, this thread is for you. So if you have any useful tips, tricks, or advice about getting communications working well, post them here.

First of all, I highly suggest getting your settings straight while joined to somebody elses game rather than hosting, because I've had MIC problems while hosting that I do not have in others games (likely a router issue).

Once you are in a game where the other players have MIC's, go into your Options menu -> headset settings. Here are the settings you need to play with:

Record - Ask people if they hear static when you're talking or if you are coming through clear. If you are coming through garbled, try turning this setting down. Note: simply moving the mic away from your mouth, like under your chin, can work as well if not better than lowering the record setting.

Threshold - The level at which your voice will be transmitted. I recommend turning this up for most people, espescially smokers. It gets annoying hearing someone cough every 20 seconds. You can test this with this window open.

Playback - Adjusts the volume you hear in your mic. You'll just have to play with this one. I have mine turned almost all the way up.

Anyways, thats all the advice I can think of off the top of my head. Please everyone get your mics working. I can't tell you how much better a game is with 4 players who can communicate clearly.
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:13 pm
Dagg

Hmm a few things to add.

Threshhold any noises that dont hit the meter arent sent. I would strongly recommend AGAINST turning this up to high as was suggested above. I spent half an evening asking my buddy questions and he was giving responses but I wasnt hearing them since his threshold setting was so high. Moving it down to about 25 or 30% worked better.

Also there is a setting something like mic check, turn that on for a second and you can hear your own voice which is much better for testing than asking the other folks you are connected with, once you find a good spot you can turn it off.

Last edited by Dagg on Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:19 pm
Zarf

Thank you Tyveil

I'll have to try that. I only played online, the first night game came out. Never used the headset before, could hear nothing, first game I was in, 2nd game, could hear 50% of time. And my voice echoing back in my headset the whole time, was frustrating. Snowblind gave me suggestions, similar to yours, just never went back online to try them.

I got into my single player game Smile That was other complaint I had during online, I was the cleric, 3 fighter / Shadowknights, they killed everything, most of time before I even saw on the screen. Wasn't much fun following them around, and screen loads constantly, they were going to new areas soon. Any cut scenes, were cut off quick, no time to read. To know the story had to play it myself ( single player ). Smile

My head is about to explode Sad Home sick today

Ill try this later, thank you

Frostmourne
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:42 pm
Stile

Great post! I hope all those heavy breathers out there take note of the Threshold setting...I'm getting tired of hearing all of you exhale out your nose and mouth, and right in to my ear. Smile
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:26 pm
abuck

yes. mouth-breathers please set your threshold to at least 50%.
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:49 pm
Maelgrim

hey im a 39 shadowknight.i have a mic but i cant here but i can talk. any1 got nay good tips to make it so i can here? and also im freezing ALOT during online games. any tips on that?
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:47 am
unreality

Your actual headphone might be blown/broken/wire came loose, happens all the time on cheapo headphones (general statement in regards to the quality of every headset). As for the hangups, try cleaning out your PS2, i love my cans of compressed air to death!

Thanks for the tips on the headsets!
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:27 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tyveil

Just wanted to give another tip after adjusting my mic for my wife. She likes to have the mic right in front of her mouth, which seems to work fine for other games (Socom II for example). When I opened up the MIC settings window, every time she would talk, even quitely, volume would shoot up to 100%! This is what causes static, people cannot hear you if your volume maxes every time you talk. Anyways, she can now continue to use the mic the same way she always has, I just had to set Record down to about 10%!
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:40 pm