FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
This game killed my ps2!!
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > Champions of Norrath Technical Issues

Author Thread
pd

This game killed my ps2!!  Reply with quote  

My ps2 is less than 6 months old, and I have never had a disc read error until I put in this game. I finally got it loaded, and didnt want to risk having the same problem again after playing so I left it on the intro screen. I turned my TV back to the ps2 today (it has sat for about 48 hours on the intro screen) and the game was crashed. I rebooted my ps2, and it is DEAD. The greenlight will come on, but the interface won't load and the disc door won't open.

Thanks a lot, Champions of Norrath Evil or Very Mad

Post here if you have observed any disc read errors or other problems, I'd like to who else is having issues (I talked to one other person who has bought it and they had disc read errors as well). And if anyone knows how to contact Sony about ps2 repairs please share the info.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:32 am
Gaut

I had a disc read error when I first bought it.
Was easy to repair myself though
http://www.techtv.com/xplay/features/story/0,24330,3516150,00.html
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:59 am
Cascading_Darkness

I have gotten DREs before, but not consistently. This game however is a different story. I got it to load 1 out of 6 times, and the load times were horrible 5min+. Likely due to read errors. Most load times are 10-30 sec max. I had previously seen the xplay fix so I went there right away. After following the instructions it loads fine every time now.

As for you PS2 completely dying. If the interface doesn't load at all, for any game/DVD your in bad shape. You could try contacting Sony, since it's a game published by them and a system made by them you might be able to get some help. Otherwise I would try the X-Play fix, that is if you don't mind voiding the warrenty.

I forgot to mention. NEVER set your ps2 up vertically. I had always set it this way because I got a free vertical stand. Since I opened it up and saw the DVD drive I can see how extended vertical placement could cause unwanted stress.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:14 am
pd

it is laying flat. I bought this one recently to replace my old ps2 that had the DRE problem. I am going to be SO pissed if I have to by a 3rd ps2!
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:24 am
Evilboy

Location: Currently somewhere in Norrath. When I'm not at work, of course.

Let me get this straight...you left your PS2 on for 48 straight hours?

Did it occur to you that this might not help things any? Rolling Eyes
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:13 am
Shifty Geezer

If new and only 6 months old, isn't it covered by a 1 year warranty? Don't know what the manual says about lng periods of ON.

Shifty Geezer
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:26 am
Twobells

Yup, i had crashes in game and LONG periods of loading.
I know of people who have had the game completely crash and on reboot never render again (nope NOT the ps2)

Its the deal with DVD9 (if it is DVD9) every single DVD9 game has caused endless problems.

TB
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:33 pm
The Take Out Bandit

If you're still under warranty, click here .

Sony's Playstation contact information also falls under the RTFM clause. Razz
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:47 pm
unreality

That's impossible, maybe you shouldnt have left your PS2 on for 2 days TRYING to load a game.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:13 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
pd

I didnt leave it on a loading screen, I left it on the main menu screen and the game was not locked up or frozen. Read the original post.

I usually leave my ps2 on, pause my game and flip to TV video source, and flip back when I want to play again. Never seen any issues with any games before, and I have had a ps2 since the day they came out (that one succumbed to infinite DRE's last year, hence the replacement).

I went out and bought another ps2 yesterday, I am not going to sit around without one while waiting on repairs Wink Since its still covered by the return policy I will let this one sit on the main menu screen for a few days and see if it happens again.

Thanks for the link to repair contact.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:43 pm
secretmantra

From my understanding (admittedly limited), leaving ANY mechanical device on for long periods of time substantially increases wear, which makes glitches or breakage much more likely. Think of all those tiny moving parts in there. They don't stay in perfect shape forever. Friction occurs, parts heat up, bad things happen.
If I know I'm going to stop playing my PS2 for more than a half-hour, I shut it down. I'm not criticizing anyone who doesn't do this, but I just like to take good care of my expensive, fun-crafting device.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:06 pm
danothebull

ur stupid u left the PS2 on for 48 hours!!!!!!

It could of set fire!!!!!!!

My mate accidentally left his PS2 on whil;st he was on holiday. He came back to find his room was gone!!!!!!

On my brothers PS2 there are disc errors for all games this si beacasuse he dropped it on the floor twice. thats probably the reason for ur disc error. Its not CoN's fault!!! Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:33 pm
Cestode Raffity!

Try turning your PS2 upside-down (in the horizontal position) this seems to help it read the disc. Ultimately though the laser will need replacing, but you can get a few more weeks out of turning it on its roof.
Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:52 am
Shifty Geezer

I had CoN style blackouts and sound problems with DA2 on a latest edition PS2, which were solved by playing the game with the PS2 in the Horizontal and not Vertical position.

Shifty Geezer
Post Wed May 05, 2004 4:54 pm
fireicedarklight

yah i had a day when i couldnt get my ps2 past the first loading screen on CON, but i've always had my ps2 horizontal and it still does everything as well as when i got t and its a origanal but twice for the first time EVER when opening my inventory on CON it froze. but i've heard that leaving it horizontal is the way to go and i've left my ps1 and ps2 on for more then a week (with a fan on it) and there older then crap and they still work! but its better to take care of ur ps2 and i also recomend taking out the network adaptor in the back or the exp bay and vaccuming if theres alot of dust
ur man
{FiRe}
Our site-www.freewebs.com/fadwyer
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:11 am