FAQ Search Groups Members
Register Profile PM's Login/Out
Licensing of the BGDA engine
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Snowblind Studios > BG: Dark Alliance General Discussion

Author Thread
Orphu

Licensing of the BGDA engine  Reply with quote  

I've noticed that the BGDA engine seems to be becoming one of the most proliferative engines of this generation of consoles. By my count, there will be no less than 6 games available based on this engine by the end of 2004: BGDA 1 & 2, Fallout:Brotherhood of Steel, Everquest:CON, The Bard's Tale, and Combat Elite.

I think Snowblind did such a stellar job with the BGDA engine right out of the gate that I'm really hoping you're getting kickback from each use of the engine not explicitly handled by yourselves!

So, would you be willing to shed any light on the licensing situation of the BGDA engine? Is there one? Are you getting any sort of compensation? Do you provide support in any way?
Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:01 pm
Judgment

You missed one that I know of which was on XBOX. Heroes of might and magic used the BG:DA engine I believe. So yeah you were right on the "no less than six".

Judgment
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:36 pm
Billy

You're right about the other game but you got the name mixed with another game (which is incredible).
It was Dungeons and Dragons Heroes.
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:17 pm
Judgment

Corrected I stand. And yes you are right it was incredible. Too short like all the others though. And I looked at Combat Elite, which I ahd not seen before, It looks awesome. Will it have RPG elements? Like BG and CON? IT would be awesome if it did.

Judgment
Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:44 pm
Darkness2k

DA was excellent, and as soon as DA2 and Fallout comes out over here in England (DA2 should be out tomorrow according to Amazon! Very Happy) I'm sure they will be excellent as well...

Bard's Tale and Combat Elite look good, but i'm more into co-op gaming if possible.... so I think the 'Champions of Norrath' is a must Smile Especially with online capabilities Very Happy
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:11 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BJohnny
Snowblind Studios

Actually, D&D Heros was not made with the Snowblind engine.

It's a very similar style of game, so I can understand the confusion... Cool
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:40 am
Darkness2k

Explains why you can zoom out far too much in Heroes then.... All I can tell is that I am the red-ring fighting all the other things...

I guess these developers expect you to have a 50" display to play these games Razz

Shame they took out the remarks in DA2 that was in DA1.... I.e. when the Dwarf picked a quest item you got "Found Something!" or "This looks important!"... They don't say anything in DA2 :'(
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:05 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number